Very slow upload speed
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

We upgraded a few days ago to what is supposed to be 50 Mbs for upload and download. When I first tested it using Verizon's speed test web site by direct connection of my Apple laptop to the Verizon router with an ethernet cable, that's what I got. Today, the download speed is actually a little higher than 50 Mbs but the upload speed is much less - it varies over time from as low as 1 to as high as 16.

My long call to Verizon was not very productive. They pointed me to a Verizon web site for some diagnostics but it wouldn't run using either Safari or Firefox. I kept telling him that I don't think it has anything to do with my laptop as I saw 50/50 speeds with it recently, and have not changed my computer in the interim, but rather I questioned whether it was something on Verizon's end. He said he has no way of testing that ?? After he rebooted my FIOS system and nothing changed, I ended the call.

I've seen posts at various times about slow upload speeds. Also, a few months ago they had a tech at my house for a similar problem and after several hours they concluded that they had to replace some board at their end.

I guess my questions are:

o do other people have intermittent slow upload times?

o is there anything I can try at my end?

o is Verizon really not able to determine the available speed at their end, to determine if there is an issue there?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow upload speed
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

First question that comes to mind....when getting the slow speeds now, is your Mac connected via WiFi or Ethernet cable?

If you're connecting now via WiFi, I'd suggest you run a few tests when connected by Ethernet to narrow down where the problem may lie.

If you're not already doing so, I'd suggest you test at www.speedtest.net, and use a two or three different servers on their website to see if you get the same results.

0 Likes
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mac is connected with ethernet cable when doing the tests.

Just tried speedtest.net and got ~58 down and ~1 up. I didn't see how to change servers but doubt it will make a difference as these results are basically what I got from Verizon's speed test.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok.  Were I in your situation here's what I'd do next:

Try a different Cat 5/6 cable between the Mac and the router.

Try a different port on the router.

If available, even if it means borrowing it, try a difference device, another Mac or PC, connected to the router to see if you get the same results.  You could even use something like an smartphone or tablet to run some speedtests via WiFi, as long as they're very close to the router.  The idea here is to eliminate your Mac as the cause of the problem, even though that seems unlikely.

If you get the same results after those steps, I suggest you need to call Verizon tech support and ask them to send a tech to your location to troubleshoot the problem. 

One more thought (for now) though...what speeds were you getting before you upgraded to 50/50?  If you were getting what you were expecting for then and you explain that to tech support, they may be able to re-provision your ONT to see if that solves the problem.

Good luck.

0 Likes
morenoar

I am having the same issues. When I plug in my laptops or PC to wired on the router, I get various speeds of 5-15 But when I go wireless, even if I am 1 foot away from router, I get ranges from .5 to 5.   These are 3 different laptops.  I am about reay to go back to Cable.  Even my VOD with Direct TV wilil not play as smooth as it was with Cable.  Frustraing

0 Likes
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had tried a different cable and port on router - same result.

Just tried again - 58 Mbs download, less than 1 Mbs upload.

Before the upgrade, I was supposed to have 20/20 speed and I did a lot of the time. There were also occasions when the upload speed was greatly reduced. This seems to be a recurring problem. One evening a whle back, I tried to upload some images to a site and it was taking so long that I quit. Next morning, I tried again and they uploaded in about a minute - nothing changed on my computer but all of a sudden the upload speed was as expected.

I think this is an issue with Verizon's network.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You have a problem somewhere. It may be a bad router, ont or coax. It could be something as simple as Verizon doesn't have you configured correctly. You need to call tech support for help.

0 Likes