Very slow uploads!
PineywoodsLI

The problem started a week ago. I have Dell desktop PC, with Windows XP, router connected via wired (ethernet) cable. I have 50/25 service. My upload speeds are very slow, most speedtests show great download speeds, but terrible upload speeds, like this.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3570061501

Basically I'm only doing around 1mbps upload. I have tried everything, resetting the router by holding down the button in the back, as well as unplugging it. I also reset the ONT. I also ran the Verizon Speed optimizer on their website, rebooted the machine, problem still persists. I called them, they ran tests on the line, and said it was working fine. The odd thing is Verizon's own speedtest shows I'm getting proper upload speeds. Usually says 60/30, which is better than even 50/25. But once I got to Speedtest & other servers, the upload speed is very slow. Problem started last week. I'm wondering if it had to do with removing the Verizon In Home Agent program which kept giving me errors. Though on the phone Verizon told me that Fios services do not require any of their own software to run on my machine.
Verizon's own diagnostic test gave me these results, which I do not understand.

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 36.26Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 43.82Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_17

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 1045440 bytes.
2.4 Gbps OC-48 link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 13.72 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
There were 488 packets retransmitted, 2718 duplicate acks received, and 2872 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 0.21 seconds (2.09%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 66.25% of the time.
This connection is network limited 33.75% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

Pingtest results

I haven't gotten any answers. I may just try re-installing the "In Home Agent" and see if that fixes it.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow uploads!
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't waste time with IHA.

Do consider running verizon Optimizer.  http://my.verizon.com/services/speedoptimizer/fios/    It is recommended for WINDOWS XP OR EARLIER but usually unnecessary for VISTA/7/8

Lots of things look bad in your test, but I am not sure what might be causing it.  Perhaps one of the other Peers will have better suggestions.  Hopefully you did not force any of your settings.  For example I normally see MTU (packet size) as 1452, but I know some see 1460 (8 bytes more that I know represent some header info.

Worst problems seem to be ping time and

There were 488 packets retransmitted, 2718 duplicate acks received, and 2872 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 1 times due to packet loss

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the receive and send buffers look ok. The retransmits make me think you're probably on wireless. If you are then you might be just hitting some wireless interference.  you may want to change your wifi channel or reduce interference in your home from competing wifi devices such as baby monitors, cordless phones etc, that may be sitting to close to the router.

0 Likes
PineywoodsLI

I'm not on wireless, I am using a PC with a wired connection. And I've already ran Verizon's Optimizer.

The funny thing is Verizon's own speedtest is the only one that shows proper upload speeds!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon's speedtests keep all traffic in network.  So it helps identify problems inside the verizon network.   If you had bad results there, then they would know that they need to look at the routers and see what's going on.

When you go to alternate speed test sites, you are going through a normal internet route. So since your wired, you may just have a bad route.

Why don't you run a couple traceroutes

Trace to normal websites like yahoo.com and google to get a snapshot of normal traces, and then trace to whatever destination is giving you the most trouble.

Post those results here. They only give you some visibility, but can kinda generally point us in the right direction.

0 Likes
PineywoodsLI

Here are the results I have for Facebook (blotted out my IP)

And for Youtube. These are the two sites I upload to the most.

1. image
0 Likes
PineywoodsLI

Another one, which came as a surprise as Optimum/Cablevision is based on LI. Really seems like something is screwed up on Verizon's end.

Verizon, which no surprise, works fine.

0 Likes
PineywoodsLI

Problem fixed! I figured I could try changing DNS servers. So I changed mine to use OpenDNS and viola...upload speeds are back! 

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Just wondering how changing DNS servers would affect upload speeds.  Doesn't changing the DNS server simply simply change how you find and connect to the website initially?  Shouldn't that only affect how fast you initially reach a web site or IP address?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kestrel wrote:

Just wondering how changing DNS servers would affect upload speeds.  Doesn't changing the DNS server simply simply change how you find and connect to the website initially?  Shouldn't that only affect how fast you initially reach a web site or IP address?

If a site runs out of multiple datacenters or uses CDNs for caching or closer delivery to the edge, changing DNS Servers can change the route you go down by handing out different IPs. DNS does nothing more than act as a phone book, so Internet traffic doesn't, and shouldn't be routing through DNS Servers.

0 Likes