Very very slow upload speeds (25/25 service)
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

I've had FiOS with 25/25 service for some time now, but for the past month or so, the upload speeds have been painfully slow. I ran the Verizon speed test and ended up with sub-1.0 upload speeds, and that's if the upload test completes at all. It starts out reasonably , then seems to stall and eventually dies. As others have reported in earlier threads, other speed tests (Speakeasy and the Java-based Verizon test ,when I could find it) reported better speeds, but nothing close to 25 up (This seems to be common in other reports of slow speed I saw here.). Download speeds are fine, around 31 when I run it wired.

Before people tell me it's my PC, this occurs with my Android phone as well (it timed out trying to email a video), AND with my Sling Solo box (lets me watch TV remotely), which is where I originally noticed the problem - it starts out OK and then times out.

I had been going back and forth with the VerizonSupport person on Twitter and they weren't able to resolve it (they did reset the ONT at one point, I think - wasn't home so I cannot confirm). I called customer service last Thursday and they sent me a new router, but that did not fix the problem.

What's my next step here? What could be causing this? Could it be in the "line"? The ONT? Are there any tests I can run myself other than the speed test? And why do some speed tests run fine but the Verizon one does not?

I can post screen shots of the speed test later if necessary.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Resolved
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

So, after getting a new router and finding that did not fix my prob;lem, and being told that they ran a speed test to my ONT from their end and that it was good (so the problem was likely my wiring), my problem went away (back to 31/27 on 25/25 service). The week before I noticed that it had fixed itself,  I stopped to talk to a Verizon repair guy who was on my street fixing someone else's service. The repair guy said that my neighbor claimed that his service was dropping, but the repair guy said he could not find anything and ended up replacing the ONT. He had no idea what my problem was but maybe after I left he figured something out related to the two problems and fixed it. Very strange, but I am very pleased that it's fixed. I had the Verizon Support guys on Twitter look up my neighbor's problem ticket to see if there was something in there to saw what they did, but all they saw was the ONT replacement.

I wish I could say what solved the problem since I know there are other people who have had this problem in the past. I hate it when problems "fix themselves".

View solution in original post

Resolved
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

So, after getting a new router and finding that did not fix my prob;lem, and being told that they ran a speed test to my ONT from their end and that it was good (so the problem was likely my wiring), my problem went away (back to 31/27 on 25/25 service). The week before I noticed that it had fixed itself,  I stopped to talk to a Verizon repair guy who was on my street fixing someone else's service. The repair guy said that my neighbor claimed that his service was dropping, but the repair guy said he could not find anything and ended up replacing the ONT. He had no idea what my problem was but maybe after I left he figured something out related to the two problems and fixed it. Very strange, but I am very pleased that it's fixed. I had the Verizon Support guys on Twitter look up my neighbor's problem ticket to see if there was something in there to saw what they did, but all they saw was the ONT replacement.

I wish I could say what solved the problem since I know there are other people who have had this problem in the past. I hate it when problems "fix themselves".

Re: Resolved
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

That's good to hear misterbill99. Please mark your last post as the solution!

0 Likes
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

Done. Of course, it's not really the solutiion so much as it is the resolution.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus
Moved to a thread of its own for greater exposure
0 Likes