Voltage Interference (and safety) Question
Rut
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are there any concerns with having a two-gang box with both 120v and coax/Cat6 feeds in the same box???  Or how about lines running parallel in that same config???  I vaguely remember hearing that can create interference (or even possibly voltage absorption to the coax or Cat lines).  Is there any concerns with this?  I have one room where I have a box with both 120v and a coax already together in that two-gang box.  The lines come from different directions, but ultimately meet up fairly close in the box of course.  I did this a few years ago when I was preparing to hang a small TV on that wall and wanted a small footprint in terms of boxes behind the TV.  Now as I redo all this anyhow and prepare fpr a FiOS install, I want to ensure I do it correctly and safely.  The power is hot, and I checked the exisiting cable signal once and it seemed to be okay.  It's a GFI and never trips.  Never hung the TV there though to test it for any length of time.  Just trying to be safe.  Any thoughts anyone?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Voltage Interference (and safety) Question
Rut
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey, thank you sir.  Much appreciated.  I had a feeling that was the answer.  Better get myself a hold of an NEC guide, and some local codes.  I'm a safety dork, and if push comes to shove, I'll just hire a professional to do it.  Just trying to save some $$ on the labor part. 

Thanks again...

r/

Rusty

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021190076.pdf

Also lutron makes wall plates and shows divider plates. This PDF also references the National electrical code restrictions regarding this practice. But I think it is best not to do this. If done you need to use divider plates and run the low voltage in on side of the box and high voltage in the other. Not good to run communications wires and line voltage together.

http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/WorkArea/downloadasset.aspx?id=19725

Rut
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey, thank you sir.  Much appreciated.  I had a feeling that was the answer.  Better get myself a hold of an NEC guide, and some local codes.  I'm a safety dork, and if push comes to shove, I'll just hire a professional to do it.  Just trying to save some $$ on the labor part. 

Thanks again...

r/

Rusty

0 Likes