Vz FiOS Tech anomaly
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

just a venting rant. 

I've been a Vz FiOS customer over 5 years.  The few ttimes I've had to contact Vz FiOS tech support, it would end as very positive experience.  This time wasn't the same.

Background:

I experienced an Internet & VOD outage on 6/14 in the evening - TV & phone were fine.  I rebooted the router and Internet returned.  VOD came back after rebooting the STB.  Another outage 6/15.  Rebooting the router did nothing - lights were all green.  Then did the  "reset everything" - ONT w/o battery, router, STBs, computers.   Still no internet.  Still no VOD.  Phone (digital voice) & TV worked. Called Vz to learn if there were any service problems in the area, or was it "just me."  Tech immediately launched into reboot router, then disconnect & reboot STB "script".  After repeating my intial question and not getting a response, I cooperated and followed her directions, which focused on the VOD exclusivly.  (btw - when we were disconnected on my Vz landline, she did call back "a plus" but on my Vz wireless which made understanding her all the more difficult - "not so good".)  I repeatedly informed her that my concern was internet, but I followed her directions because - yes, everyting does go through the router. After about 20 minutes of unplug, disconnect, etc, her determination was that the router is bad and needed replacement.  It would get sent out Monday, via overnight & I could expect arrival Tuesday, 6/18. That made for expectations of an unhappy Father's Day. I was given a UPS tracking number.  When I asked about a carry-in exchange at a Vz store, I was told I could call Vz stores and try to arrange something on my own but there wasn't anyting she could do. Without internet to get me the store numbers, I didn't do that.    I asked about service interruption credit - she told me I cold call someone else about that.  About an hour later (9:30 am) my internet service returned, VOD returned later on as well.  All was fine for 2 days.  On 6/17 at about 6 am I started using internet (for work) without a problem..  At about  7:15 am EDT internet activity became sluggish and then stopped - with one interesting exception:  I could reach yahoo.com - and that URL only (it wasn't cached on my machine.). Links on that page hung & timed out, as did all other attempts for any other internet destination.  Being a workday, and unable to do anything at home, I drove to my office - an hour away.  Turns out internet service returned about an hour after I left - no reboots, just **poof**, it was back. 

So, could it be the router - perhaps.  Might there have been "outside issues" - perhaps.  Was the tech up to usual Vz standards - no.  I did get a follow-up survey call, but after hearing "rate your experience from 1 to 10 with 10 ...", I pressed "4" -- and was promptly disconnected!!! HAHAHA.  Perhaps that helps keep down the number of "bad surveys"?  

My replacement router arrived yesterday.  Same Actiontec model, with Rev I,, which is newer/better than my Rev F.  But, my Rev F supported "draft N" and I don't suffer "techno-lust" so, the "bnewer, improved Rev. I means nothing to me.  What the new router does mean to me is playing Sys Admin and getting it setup (IP ranges, port forwarding, etc.) and acquainting all my wireless devices (6 PCs, 2 printers, 4 phones, 2 tablets, etc.) .  Or, since the old one is working maybe just live with the old one and send the new one back? I'll wait a week and see. 

Anyone want to wager if I experience "router problems"? (If I do, I'll come back and post an update -- right after I eat my words!)

btw - does anyknow if Vz makes general outage / esrvice issues available on-line & what that might be?

Venting relieves pressure.  Have a great ... everything.

0 Likes