Vz Fios with Windows VISTA
DVSVZ
Enthusiast - Level 2
Vz Fios with Windows VISTA
Message 1 of 1 (1 View)

I just had my phone service upgraded to Fios, phone and intern.et.  My problem is I cannot get internet access on a Sony VAIO laptop with the new serice.  I can access my Home Network (laptop and a HP Pavillion Win 10) and communicate both ways, have a good internet connection on thw HP machine,  but laptop shows "connected local access only.  Are there any known problems setting up VISTA to Fios?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Vz Fios with Windows VISTA
DVSVZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved.  Answer was right in the User's Manual for the router.  Under set up  COMPUTER NETWORK CONFIGURATION said to set adapter IPv4 to "Obtain an IP address automatically".  Mine was set to use specific address (10.0.0.1) probably carried from previous Ntwk using NetGear router.  once changed to Auto, connection showed Local and Internet Access,  and sure enough, I was on the internet.  So, all I can recommend to anyone having difficulties, READ THE MANUAL.  Thanks for your response, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Routers don't care about the OS of the device connecting.

Have you tried connecting via ethernet to start?

It may be the encryption method you are using the VISTA doesn't support.

Not sure if Vista supprots both WEP and WPA.

What setting do you have on the router for wireless?

DVSVZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved.  Answer was right in the User's Manual for the router.  Under set up  COMPUTER NETWORK CONFIGURATION said to set adapter IPv4 to "Obtain an IP address automatically".  Mine was set to use specific address (10.0.0.1) probably carried from previous Ntwk using NetGear router.  once changed to Auto, connection showed Local and Internet Access,  and sure enough, I was on the internet.  So, all I can recommend to anyone having difficulties, READ THE MANUAL.  Thanks for your response, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!