WAN or LAN
ract
Contributor - Level 1

This has probably;y already been answered, but I can't find it.  My router has 5 Ethernet jacks (1 WAN and 5 LAN).,  What is the difference between WAN and LAN?  Does it make any difference which jack I connect the computer or other devices (printers, etc,) to? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WAN or LAN
Hubrisnxs
Legend

wan is for your actual internet connection.  Verizon brings internet either through the ethernet cable, or through the coax.   

So if the ethernet WAN is open, then don't plug anything into it.  Only use the 1-4 ports to connect your home devices. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

wan is for your actual internet connection.  Verizon brings internet either through the ethernet cable, or through the coax.   

So if the ethernet WAN is open, then don't plug anything into it.  Only use the 1-4 ports to connect your home devices. 

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Wan is only used when the router is receiving information soo your never going to put anything in there....The LAN however should have all of your computers and such.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Techman28 wrote:

Wan is only used when the router is receiving information

What does that mean?  As Hubrisinxs stated, the WAN port is used only if you have a cat5 connection to the ONT.  In that case, data is both sent and received to the internet over that port.

0 Likes
ract
Contributor - Level 1

OK.  Thanks, I got it.  The coax and WAN jacks are for input from the ONT and the LAN jacks are for output to the home network.

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

yeah the more I read it the more it doesn't make sense....basically your not gonna put anything in that port as far as electronic wise for computers or devices that aren't in direct relation to receiving internet services

Wan is Wide area Network and the Lan is Local Area Network

Pretty much the Lan info is sent to the wan and sent out to the internet you won't put anything in the wan unless its the connection your getting from an isp requires you to put it in there.

But Hubs is right

0 Likes