WCB300N - Cable run too long?
WaterRat1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ran a coax cable from my house approx 200' out to my workshop where I connected a TV and STB and that works fine.  However I tried connecting an Actiontec WCB3000N network extender (purchased from Verizon, it's the correct version) so that I could have a wifi signal out there also and that seems to have two issues:

1. The green coax light is flashing (I'm assuming it doesn't have a strong enough signal?) and my router shows the extender as inactive.

2. For some reason this seems to cause a disturbance in TV data network availability which primarily affects on demand programming, but also slows down the channel guide.  When I disconnect the extender then everything works fine.

The WCB3000N works fine when it's in the house and there are no TV issues then.  I've checked and remade the coax connections so the only thing I'm left with is assuming that the cable run is too long at ~200ft.

Anyone enlighten me?

0 Likes
Re: WCB300N - Cable run too long?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Assuming you're using a splitter to split the coax feed between the WCB300N and the TV, I suggest you try plugging the original coax directly into the range extender.  Take the splitter and the extra coax patch cable out of the circuit to see if that makes a difference.

The problem could be too much loss in the splitter, or the extra patch cable, or both.

0 Likes
WaterRat1
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, removed the splitter and got a steady green coax light on the extender, plus could see the device on my router. But...

When I call up the on-demand menu on any TV I get the "loading" circle until it times out, plus the coax light on my extender is back to flashing.  TV operation goes back to normal when I disconnect the extender.Smiley Frustrated

I checked all the IPs and have no conflicts btw. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

That's a puzzler.

What type coax do you have running to the workshop?  RG6?  RG59?  The problem might be helped by using a lower loss coax such as RG11.

You might also look at any other splitters you have in your installation.  What I would suggest, if this isn't already the configuration, is a one-to-two splitter from your ONT, one output to the workshop coax and the other output to an additional splitter (two or three outputs) feeding the rest of the house.  Keep the loss to/from the workshop to a minimum.

I have to admit I'm speculating here.  I have a WCB3000N and when I installed it I didn't have any of the problems you're encountering. 

(Let me add that although I didn't have any problems with the WCB3000N, I have since replaced it with a ECB2500 feeding a Netgear router in AP mode.  That gave me a little better WiFi coverage than did the WCB3000N.)

Good luck.

WaterRat1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I'm using RG6Q.  The odd thing is this impact on the data stream to the TVs, I'm wondering if there is some sort of conflict?  I'll give it a try with the single splitter at the ONT tomorrow as per your suggestion.

The cable is pulled through underground conduit so re-pulling new cable is not high on my priority list.  When I pulled the coax I did pull through a CAT6e alongside it just in case so if the coax doesnt work for the WCB3000N I could replace that with a wired access point (any recommendations on what might work well with the MI424WR?) and use the coax for the TV/STB which is working fine there.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

One other thing to try before giving up on your RG6 is a two way amplifier.   Fairly inexpensive and you might even get Verizon to give you one.

You may need to experiment with where to put it in your coaxial network to give you the bet results.

0 Likes