WCB6200Q over MoCa (from a G3100)
frasermarlow
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a G3100 Wifi router that is working just fine.  I need to extend Wifi in my house over coax so I am using a WCB6200Q over MoCa.  I have them side-by-side on my desk, connected with a short Coax, and the two devices are sync'ed over WPS.  There is no LAN or WAN light on the G3100, and no network light is lit on the front of the WCB extender...  When I go into the router settings it says no cable is connected to the G3100 (which there is).   Any clues on how to get this working?

I have tried switching out the coax cable and I have tried to adjust the security settings on the COAX connection on the router admin panel.  I have also rebooted both devices.

Apparently the 'add image' feature on this system does not work, but I provided a couple of photos here:
 https://drive.google.com/file/d/17sqfA7ckenr0L6MvMErew4dM9wTr8BfH/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mC-voM6ATtE7VV5PAo0uoYDrAwhYqND8/view?usp=sharing

0 Likes
Re: WCB6200Q over MoCa (from a G3100)
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pair the devices with WPS? No, you should not pair them with WPS. Wireless and MoCA cannot be linked at the same time because of traffic collisions.

To see MoCA device status on G3100, go to LAN Coax status. I know how to find that on G1100, not too sure on G3100.

WCB6200Q will get a dynamic IP address from G3100 once connected through MoCA.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just add another image to show you the interface.

Maybe a little different on G3100, this is on G1100, the elder one.

The Device 1 is ECB5240M. MoCA bonded 2.0 to 4 ethernet.

I have WCB3000N, the elder one of WCB6200Q, linked on ethernet now (not shown).

MoCA.png

frasermarlow
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, let me try that - I have been on chat with Verizon support for 90 minutes.  They are telling me the Coax connection on the back of the G3100 unit is not an output.  Apparently the correct setup is to switch the network connection on the back of the ONT from ethernet to Coax, and then connect both the wifi router and the extender separately to the ONT via Coax.  

0 Likes
frasermarlow
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks - sadly this chat forum does seem to allow pictures to be posted directly 😕
OK, I lied - that actually worked!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@frasermarlow wrote:

Apparently the correct setup is to switch the network connection on the back of the ONT from ethernet to Coax, and then connect both the wifi router and the extender separately to the ONT via Coax.  

What? G3100 and WCB6200Q establishes MoCA LAN with each other. ONT should not be involved. The coax from the ONT is WAN, if not disabled.

You can login into WCB6200Q via its default configuration IP address when connected directly to a laptop with an ethernet cable and without any other connections.

0 Likes
frasermarlow
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, thanks.  That is what I thought, but according to Verizon help, the ONT is not set up that way.  I am on the Internet only plan, so maybe it's possible that the ONT is set up for data on the Ethernet port and nothing on the Coax port?  

0 Likes
frasermarlow
Enthusiast - Level 2

They also told me the Coax on the wifi router (the G3100) is only used for connecting that router to the ONT, and the G3100 will NOT act as an ethernet-to-moca converter for other devices on the network.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@frasermarlow wrote:

wifi router (the G3100) is only used for connecting that router to the ONT, and the G3100 will NOT act as an ethernet-to-moca converter for other devices on the network.

I think the newer Verizon ONT's coax port is not "provisioned" for WAN, only for Lineaer TV signal. G3100 can act as a MoCA bridge if it is enabled. But, did you achieve what you wanted to do?

0 Likes