Switch Account

WIFI Speed

SOLVED
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 1 of 16
(2,389 Views)
I am new to FIOS and my wifi speed is slow. I am getting 100 upstream and downstream when connected by Ethernet. My wifi speed is about 40 down and 12 up (10 feet from my wireless router Actiontec MI424WR. I tried using different channels but really did not see much change so I have the channel as automatic. I recently switched from Comcast internet and with the same Windows PC I was getting about 40 up and 40 down. So why am I so much slower with FIOS?
15 REPLIES 15
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 16
(2,360 Views)

Because it's a cheap router.

Try adding your own wap to the network.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 3 of 16
(2,343 Views)

For the average home user you care about down speed.  Unless you are backing up a lot of data to the cloud, you won't notice the difference between 40 and 12 up.

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 4 of 16
(2,337 Views)

On the contrary, having bad uplink on what should be symmetrical (even if half duplex in the case of Wi-Fi) is something that will kill your performance. Upload is just as important as the download.

Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 5 of 16
(2,334 Views)
I am guessing that you mean wireless access point. I have a previous router that I used as an access point so I am guessing that you suggest that I use it. When I set the "second router" up as an access point do I disable the wireless function of the Verizon provided modem/router? Also, my PCs are capable of both 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz, does the Verizon provided unit also support both?
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 6 of 16
(2,332 Views)
Actually my upload speed varies between 4 and 12 and I do use the wifi to backup my PCs regularly.
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 7 of 16
(2,282 Views)

@NEIL13764 wrote:
I am guessing that you mean wireless access point. I have a previous router that I used as an access point so I am guessing that you suggest that I use it. When I set the "second router" up as an access point do I disable the wireless function of the Verizon provided modem/router? Also, my PCs are capable of both 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz, does the Verizon provided unit also support both?

You don't need to disable the wireless on the vz router.

I don't believe the  Actiontec router supports 5ghz

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 8 of 16
(2,265 Views)

Actiontec does not but quantum router does.

Possible that previous router did and that is why it had a higher speed,

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 9 of 16
(2,257 Views)
I don't know why but previously my router supported 2.4 and 5.0 and I got good speed at both settings. I setup an access poit that supports both 2.4 and 5.0. At 2.4 my speed was terrible but at 5.0 my speed is very good. I download is about 70 and my upload speed is around 90 - very satisfied. Thanks for the help.
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 10 of 16
(2,253 Views)
Out of curiosity, I checked the speed of my wifi with my Verizon wireless phone connected to the Verizon modem (not my access point and I go about 40 up and 40 down). Now that doesn't make any sense why the phone do okay on a 2.4 connection but my 3 PCs would not get above 12 for upload.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.