WIFI Speed
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
I am new to FIOS and my wifi speed is slow. I am getting 100 upstream and downstream when connected by Ethernet. My wifi speed is about 40 down and 12 up (10 feet from my wireless router Actiontec MI424WR. I tried using different channels but really did not see much change so I have the channel as automatic. I recently switched from Comcast internet and with the same Windows PC I was getting about 40 up and 40 down. So why am I so much slower with FIOS?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WIFI Speed
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actiontec does not but quantum router does.

Possible that previous router did and that is why it had a higher speed,

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because it's a cheap router.

Try adding your own wap to the network.

db909
Contributor - Level 3

For the average home user you care about down speed.  Unless you are backing up a lot of data to the cloud, you won't notice the difference between 40 and 12 up.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

On the contrary, having bad uplink on what should be symmetrical (even if half duplex in the case of Wi-Fi) is something that will kill your performance. Upload is just as important as the download.

0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
I am guessing that you mean wireless access point. I have a previous router that I used as an access point so I am guessing that you suggest that I use it. When I set the "second router" up as an access point do I disable the wireless function of the Verizon provided modem/router? Also, my PCs are capable of both 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz, does the Verizon provided unit also support both?
0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
Actually my upload speed varies between 4 and 12 and I do use the wifi to backup my PCs regularly.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NEIL13764 wrote:
I am guessing that you mean wireless access point. I have a previous router that I used as an access point so I am guessing that you suggest that I use it. When I set the "second router" up as an access point do I disable the wireless function of the Verizon provided modem/router? Also, my PCs are capable of both 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz, does the Verizon provided unit also support both?

You don't need to disable the wireless on the vz router.

I don't believe the  Actiontec router supports 5ghz

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actiontec does not but quantum router does.

Possible that previous router did and that is why it had a higher speed,

NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
I don't know why but previously my router supported 2.4 and 5.0 and I got good speed at both settings. I setup an access poit that supports both 2.4 and 5.0. At 2.4 my speed was terrible but at 5.0 my speed is very good. I download is about 70 and my upload speed is around 90 - very satisfied. Thanks for the help.
0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
Out of curiosity, I checked the speed of my wifi with my Verizon wireless phone connected to the Verizon modem (not my access point and I go about 40 up and 40 down). Now that doesn't make any sense why the phone do okay on a 2.4 connection but my 3 PCs would not get above 12 for upload.
0 Likes