WPA2 on or off
auntcathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just upgraded my Actiontec M1424WR, rev. 1 through the Verizon free offer to get WPA2 encryption.  When I enter

192.168.1.1 in the search engine and click "Wireless Settings" then "Wireless Status", WPA2 encryption is "enabled" with

the correct key listed.  However, when I click "Advanced Security Settings" the WEP button is pre-selected.  When I select

WPA2, apply, and wait for them to incorporate the change, nothing changes and the WEP button remains selected. So,

is the WPA2 on or off?  How can I make this correction to the "Advanced Security Settings"?

Thanks,

Catherine

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WPA2 on or off
auntcathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response.  All attempts confirm WPA2 is active.  However, under "Advanced Security Settings" WEP still

shows as default, despite many attempts to change to WPA2.  Spoke with Actiontec tecs who finally admitted that this is

just another glitch! No way to change setting to show correct security setting!??!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hover over your wifi network and it should show you if you are wpa2 or wep 

this isn't mine, but it's an example of

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@auntcathy wrote:

I just upgraded my Actiontec M1424WR, rev. 1 through the Verizon free offer to get WPA2 encryption.  When I enter

192.168.1.1 in the search engine and click "Wireless Settings" then "Wireless Status", WPA2 encryption is "enabled" with

the correct key listed.  However, when I click "Advanced Security Settings" the WEP button is pre-selected.  When I select

WPA2, apply, and wait for them to incorporate the change, nothing changes and the WEP button remains selected. So,

is the WPA2 on or off?  How can I make this correction to the "Advanced Security Settings"?

Thanks,

Catherine

If you're seeing WPA2 and your WPA2 passkey on the Wireless Status page you do have WPA2 enabled.

You should also be able to click on Basic Security Settings and WEP (step 4) should be shown as off.

You can further confirm you have WPA2 enabled with the method Hubrisnxs described, or by using a free utility called iNSSIDer on a PC or Mac to see the details of your WiFi network, as well as any other networks that are in range.

auntcathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for response.  I did not know about hovering over wi-fi network.  It shows WPA2 enabled.  What below that?

Is your OS a Mac?  I don't think I have that screen in Windows 7.

0 Likes
auntcathy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response.  All attempts confirm WPA2 is active.  However, under "Advanced Security Settings" WEP still

shows as default, despite many attempts to change to WPA2.  Spoke with Actiontec tecs who finally admitted that this is

just another glitch! No way to change setting to show correct security setting!??!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Advanced settings does not show the current status of security.  It is a screen where you can change your security.  Look at the Wireless status screen.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

This has been showing for several years now since I instituted WPA2

0 Likes