WPS and MI424WR
shuggie54
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the MI424WR router and am trying to hook up a wireless camera to it using WPS. Is WPS available on this router yet? Is there another router that I can switch to instead?

Re: WPS and MI424WR
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

WPS is still not supported on the Verizon routers. Is there another way you can connect the camera to the router by entering the Wireless key into it? A PC will probably be needed to configure it, but I would imagine it'd have another way besides WPS!

shuggie54
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can hard wire it with Ethernet, but it's messier. Is there a device that can front end my router with WPS?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another cheap Wireless access point that supports WPS will work with it. You would just need to hook the access point up to your ActionTec using ethernet, and from there make sure the access point is able to reach your network just fine by connecting a PC to it.

If you can tell us what camera you're looking to set up, we might be able to tell you how to configure it manually without using WPS. It'd be easier and save you some money and time dealing with new hardware.

shuggie54
Enthusiast - Level 2
Its a D-link DCS-930L. I have it working with eithernet, but I'd be able to move it around morewith wireless.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I did a quick looking around and as I expected, it seems the Camera does support setting up the Wireless settings manually, so WPS isn't even needed in this case to get it working on Wireless. There are pretty much two ways to set the camera up, now that you have it on Ethernet for the meantime. If you chose to run the D-Link Setup Wizard and install the DView Software, it would have given you the option to either set up the camera using WPS or to set it up Manually. Chosing the Manual option would have prompted you to connect the camera using Ethernet, and would then ask you if you wished to remain on Ethernet, or if you wished to configure the camera to use Wireless. From there, it's a matter of simply locating your network SSID from inside of the wizard and entering in your network key.

If you didn't install the D-Link software, what you can do is using a web browser, enter in the current IP address of the camera. You should be taken to a D-Link Setup page, which I'm sure will prompt for a Username and Password. I didn't check to see what the defaults were, but once you're inside of the camera's web interface, clicking Setup and then choosing Wireless should present you with a Wireless Settings page. This page will ask you to enter in the SSID, choose the Security Type and enter in your Wireless Key, but once this is done the Camera should connect to your router and be usable on the Wireless.

shuggie54
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

jh34293

Hello....

is the existing wps switch on my MI424-mr's no supported? 
Will I need to update its software?

please advise..

thank you...

jh34293

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@jh34293 wrote:

Hello....

is the existing wps switch on my MI424-mr's no supported? 
Will I need to update its software?

please advise..

thank you...

jh34293

Verizon has chosen to not support the WPS button, and I think they made the right decision, based on what I read here:

https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/routers-using-wps-are-intrinsically-unsafe/

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)