Wake On LAN not Broadcasting
mrhollywoodg

I'm trying to configure WOL to work over the internet. I've got it working over the local LAN. 

I've followed this guide: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16041 exactly, and I am still unable to get it to work. I have a wake-on-lan monitor running on my computer, and it doesn't get any activity. However, in my security log on the router, I see that it acceppted my WOL traffic and forwarded it to 192.168.1.254:9. Turning off the computer, it doesn't boot either (in case my monitor wasn't working or something). The WOL monitor does detect the magic packets when I send them over LAN. 

To me, it sounds like something is off in the router broadcasting correctly. I check the ARP table for the custom entry I made, and I see it there (192.168.1.254, ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, network (home/office) for device). The custom port forwarding rule is there with single UDP port 9 forwarded, and my firewall rule shows up. Yet I still can't get it to boot over internet.

Anyone have any experience with getting this to work or troubleshooting? I just got FiOS last week, and had this working with my old ISP. My router is the MI424WR-GEN3I with firmware 40.21.10.2. It's connected Coax. 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
Re: Wake On LAN not Broadcasting
osariase

Hey there,

did you ever get this working. I am asking because I am in the same situation and I would like to have it resolved. If you had it resolved, can you please send me what was done.

thanks

0 Likes
Re: Wake On LAN not Broadcasting
cd851
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same fios router.  At some point, verizon decided they wanted the router to flush its APR table after a connection goes quiet.  This is what allowed me to wake up my machine after it was off for 15-30 secs, but then after that, nothing.  I didn't want to use the broadcast technique that you followed, so using the router web interface, I restricted the DHCP pool to 250, which gave me 3 ips I could set up as static.  I then set up one of them as a static ip on the router for my desktop.  I then went into windows and set up the static IP for the NIC.  Then I telneted into the router and issued the arp command to manually place an entry in the router's ARP table using the static ip and MAC address of the desktop NIC.  Problem finally solved after over a year of talking to everyone including verizon and actiontek.