Wake on Lan Fios Gateway G1100
Mike107866
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

not sure if there's a thread already committed to this, but from my google searches on the topic, I can't seem to figure this out.

I have a plex media server running on Windows 10.  If I leave my computer on ALL day, then I have no issues.  What I'd like to do is set up wake on lan, which is available in windows 10, but apparently the Gateway Router doesn't allow magic packets to be sent.  I'm not sure if that's true or not, but can anyone talk/walk me through the set up necessary to turn on Wake On Lan from a remote client, like an iOS device?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

0 Likes
Re: Wake on Lan Fios Gateway G1100
jonjones1
Legend

@Mike107866 wrote:

Hi all,

not sure if there's a thread already committed to this, but from my google searches on the topic, I can't seem to figure this out.

I have a plex media server running on Windows 10.  If I leave my computer on ALL day, then I have no issues.  What I'd like to do is set up wake on lan, which is available in windows 10, but apparently the Gateway Router doesn't allow magic packets to be sent.  I'm not sure if that's true or not, but can anyone talk/walk me through the set up necessary to turn on Wake On Lan from a remote client, like an iOS device?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

My best advice is to go to the Apple help forum and see if that topic is covered.

http://www.apple.com and select help forum (community) 

you might also look in your Quantum Gateway G1100 user manual just in case it covers your issue.

Good Luck 

0 Likes
Gocel

I have being trying to get WOL on the G1100 to work for the last week without success. I believe at this point that this router does not support the feature. I guess it is time to look for a router that does or go back to the actiontech. Thank you.

0 Likes
newThread

It is possible to have WOL work with the G1100. While I can't help you get it working in your specific situation, I can try to help you understand how it works better (or anyone else who read this).

This is the version of G1100 that I'm using:
UI Version: v1.0.234
Firmware Version 01.04.00.10
Model Name: FiOS-G1100
Hardware Version: 1.03

WOL isn't always the easiest thing to get working. It depends on three parts. The remote magic packet sender, the router, and the computer. If any part of that is incorrect then WOL does not work.

People often look at the router as the probelm. Yet, not only enabling WOL in the BIOS of the computer, nor enabling it in the OS may produce a working WOL and you may need to be quite tech savy to get it working in more difficult cases.

With the G1100, I can get WOL to work through the data connection (no wifi) of my cellular carrior, but as with most routers, its ARP table will lose the device you want to send the WOL to becuase its been turned off. Here with the G1100 its a minute or so and then remotely sending WOL will not work. Further, WOL is designed to work without knowing an IP address so it uses a MAC address. This is where remote gets tripped up and its been done for a reason...

Its often repeated that its called Wake-On-Lan and was never designed to work remotely. As such all methods to get it working remotely are security risks prone to attack. Very annoying/frustrating to me as I don't like things wasting power with stuff not in use.

Locally, the G1100 works fine. The magic packet that is sent for WOL is sent to ALL devices attached to the router via ethernet cable. The magic packet includes the MAC address of the device's LAN card and when the packet reaches it, it says, "hey that's me" and turns on the device (assuming WOL is working for the device).

So the story goes, WOL locally is easy and should work (in this case its depending mostly on the computer having working WOL), but remotely using WOL is unfortunately doing something that WOL wasn't designed for and as such shouldn't be done - though very tempting - the developers of WOL should just figure it out because plenty of people would like it.

The magic packet I believe for WOL works fine locally without doing anything special on the G1100 through its web portal. The only problem area should come from the computer.

Maybe this will help people and not go over the head too much. I tried to make it more easier to digest.

0 Likes
alexacola

Did you find a solution to your question? I too have wake on lan set up on my windows machine and am positive I have it set up correctly. Server machine is receiving magic packets from my Android phone but does not wake up. I also have the g1100 router.

0 Likes
MetalheadRich

"but as with most routers, its ARP table will lose the device you want to send the WOL to becuase its been turned off. Here with the G1100 its a minute or so and then remotely sending WOL will not work."

This is exactly my problem accessing my NAS over the internet. It will work right after turning off the NAS, but not later. Is there a way to get around this?

0 Likes
jbreaker

Been trying since I got this router, but I haven't found any way around this. 

On the old style FIOS routers, the same thing would happen, but you could poke a "static" record into the ARP table using the router CLI which would stick around at least until the router was rebooted. 

The Quantum one doesn't seem to support the same thing, though - or if it does, I haven't seen any documentation of how to do it, and haven't successfully guessed it.

0 Likes