Switch Account

Wall Outlet with Ethernet/Coax Port

Wall Outlet with Ethernet/Coax Port

Contributor
Contributor
Message 1 of 3
(5,512 Views)

Good morning,

I have Verizon FiOS. The Router is set up in the living room next to the TV. When the Verizon guy hooked everything up, he said the Ethernet/Coax Outlets around the apt. are "live". Meaning if we take the router to another room or wall and use that outlet, it should work.

Im setting up a computer and would like to be able to use one of those walls for Internet. This PC doesn't have a Wireless Card, and there is no room for one. I'm trying to avoid running a long Ethernet cable from the Wireless box, to this new PC.

Is there any way to use one fo these outlets without movingthe FiOS router? Can I get a simple Non-wireless router to use on another wall/room in addition to the FiOS router provided by Verizon? DO I need to order another router through Verizon?

tl;dr - I want to use the etherner outlet in my room. 😄

Thanks for the help!

Guillo

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 3
(5,507 Views)

If the tech hooked up the ethernet port in the other room just plug your computer into that oultlet with a ethernet cable and it should work.

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 3 of 3
(5,439 Views)

The Ethernet jacks are only live if the other end  is plugged into a LAN port on your router or if you have have your own equipment  and  it is connected to that device.

I moved into a building that had Ethernet jacks in all the rooms, but the cables near the OTN were not terminated so I had to pull them out of the wall, terminate them and then connect them to a LAN port on a router.

Even then I had to redo two of the wall jacks as ther were incorrectly terminated.   Well worth the work as I get my full 75/75 connection speed on all devices that I can connect using an Ethernet cable.

The best thing for you to do is to purchase and Ethernet cable tester and test all the cable runs in your home.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.