Wan vs Lan for Secondary Router
MikeE64

I've read many posts on here and dslreport but still confused on which connection to make. I'm looking into getting the TP Link C4000 (tri-band) and want to know which route to go. I want to keep it simple so connecting it after the quantum gateway seems to be the recommended route for this. I've read the installation guides on verizon and router manufacturer and they all say to use the wan. I've read the lan to lan guide on dslreport and know about turning off dhcp on the secondary and making changes to the primary router ip distribution so the secondary router ip is different so i can log into it. Anyway any advice is much appreciated. I have gigabit service, cat 6 from ont for data, and coax from ont for tv. I have tv and internet service. I heard about double NAT but still not sure what that means. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wan vs Lan for Secondary Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google your router and access point.

The routers I have seen a are quite simple.

First, disable dhcp function on your router.

And then connect from LAN of Verizon router to LAN on your router.

This will ensure that all devices are one the same subnet as everyone else.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Very simple.

you take the new router and put it in access point mode. On Netgear and others it a simple log into the router and flick a radio button to place in AP Mode 

you then hen take an ethernet cable and plug one end into the verizons LAN port and the other end into the personal routers WAN port.

you then access the Verizon router and turn off their crappy WiFi and make sure your new routers WiFi is on. Never overlap WiFi 

you now can use the LAN ports on both routers for your connection pleasure.

really very easy to do.

MikeE64

Thanks. Sounds easy enough. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google your router and access point.

The routers I have seen a are quite simple.

First, disable dhcp function on your router.

And then connect from LAN of Verizon router to LAN on your router.

This will ensure that all devices are one the same subnet as everyone else.

jonjones1
Legend

Glad it worked out.

if you don’t have tv and phone in future just go internet only and hook your own router up.  Just in case you want to save money.

0 Likes
90Miata

Thank you so much for this info. I was on the phone with netgear support for almost 2 hours.  We manually set up the router and in the end they stated I needed to call Verizon to releas a port for access as I could not get to the internet. During the call I specifically asked if the network cable was to be connected from WAN jack to the other WAN jack and the answer was yes.  I then found this article and it is up and running.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No need for WAN DHCP release any more. VZ layer 3 now issues the same IP address to every DHCP request regardless whether the previous lease is expired or not.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes