Re: Want ipv6
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tns wrote:

Someone for Verizon finally posted something.

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/HighSpeed/General+Support/Top+Questions/Questi...

So looks like something will happen beginning in the the 3q.

Looks like they will not be supporting routers before Actiontec rev E's however.

That's a bummer. Rev. Ds can do IPV6 if they'd add the function in. Maybe it's a concern over RAM since that does require some more RAM? I suppose a bit of optimization for the older routers would help, but yet again Rev. D is starting to get dated. I guess if IPv6 was wanted on a Rev. D, C, or A router third party firmware could be installed.

I hope the connectivity is done the right way in a Native format. Tunnels work, but there's a lot of overhead to them and do not play nice with applications at times.

prisaz
Legend

When they sent me a Rev. E to replace a Rev D that I said was flakey, they told be to discard my Rev d. They did not want it back.

I still have a Rev. D in a box. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
derekivey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone heard any more information about Verizon's IPv6 plans? I'm jealous that my friends on Comcast already have native IPv6 :(. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

security is a pita for IPv6 ....there are drawbacks to IPv6 as well as benefits

here is a good summary

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

security is a pita for IPv6 ....there are drawbacks to IPv6 as well as benefits

here is a good summary

Thanks for the good information.

This is what bothers me. When will Verizon start sharing the IPv4 with NAT on their end. I am, and have been PPPoE with a Private Class A subnet for a default gateway. So it would not be hard for them to add just a few more extra hops before the internet. They do it now with their routers and public IPv4 addresses.  AOL in the early 90s? How many licks does it take to get to the real internet?

http://arstechnica.com/business/2010/09/there-is-no-plan-b-why-the-ipv4-to-ipv6-transition-will-be-u...

0 Likes
derekivey
Enthusiast - Level 2
We're now in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Why hasn't Verizon said anymore about their IPv6 plans? 😞
derekivey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Q4 and still no mention of IPv6 on FiOS? :(.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

they are getting ready,   Some people have noticed that their routers have already gotten a firmware push for ipv6 in some area's. 

IPv6 Support in Rev G

That is a business class FiOS router, so maybe business will get it first? 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

they are getting ready,   Some people have noticed that their routers have already gotten a firmware push for ipv6 in some area's. 

IPv6 Support in Rev G

That is a business class FiOS router, so maybe business will get it first? 

So..

#1 They are starting with DHCP (dynamic) Addresses but for Business(es) ?

#2 Why Businesses first ?

#3 Why customers with DHCP (dynamic) ?

Thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

They might be starting with Businesses first as they presume they are a bit more prepared to use it (running larger, beefier routers than an ActionTec). As for customers with DHCP only? It's quite possible they are still working out the kinks of giving folks a static block of v6 for their location to use. It could also be due to their older PPPoE setups still being a work in progress.

It's hard to say what Verizon will do until they actually start giving out v6 addresses and put up an FAQ for it.

0 Likes