Switch Account

Want to have a backup router/modem

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Want to have a backup router/modem

Message 1 of 3
(505 Views)

I have a Actiontec MI424WR Gen 2 router/modem.

As the internet is very important to me I would like to have a backup router. Can I use any high speed modem as a backup? I would only use it as a temporary measure until a Verizon replacement arrived.

If any replacement is ok I note that the Actiontec has a coax cable with F connecter. Any recommendations for a suitable substitute?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: Want to have a backup router/modem

Message 2 of 3
(482 Views)

@GGA wrote:

Can I use any high speed modem as a backup?

No.  FIOS does not use modems.  There are no routers other than the Actiontec and the Westell 9100EM that support a MOCA (coax) WAN connection.

You have two options.

1)  You can buy an additional Actiontec router from VZ.  It's listed on the VZ website for $79.

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

2)  You can have your WAN connection switched from a MOCA connection to a cat5 connection.  Then you can use a router of your choice as backup.  Note that there are special considerations when you use your own router if your also have FIOS-TV.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Want to have a backup router/modem

Message 3 of 3
(444 Views)

Thank you for the info and especially the links. To keep things simple I went ahead and bought the VZ router.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.