Was I supposed to get a new router with gigabit?
starmannj

Hi all,

A tech came out today to install my gigabit service, but he said that he was told not to give me a new router. Anyway, my speeds are 100/100, not the expected 1000/1000 like other people seem to have. He installed a new ONT, but the router is still the ActionTec MI42. He said I can get gigabit speed with that router, but that router is OLD. I don't know if it supports gigabit or not.

Before I call, can someone tell me if I should have gotten a new router?

EDIT: I forgot to mention - he had a tablet with him to check my wireless connection. It was in the red. I'm thinking that wasn't good.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gigabit upgrade story continues - customer service needs an upgrade
jonjones1
Legend

I told you and showed you that your router was not gigabyte.

however Verizon gives a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee so you could always just cancel service if you are unhappy.

secondly since the install was just 3 days it is possible to get the installer back to correct the error and bring the new router with him/her.

hooefully the person you spoke with actually sent the new Quantum router and just did not shine you on to get you off the phone. There should be a confirmation email or an online account notation stating it was sent. 

Hope it all works out.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Was I supposed to get a new router with gigabit?
starmannj

I can't seem to edit...

Ok, I have an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. E and I have conflicting info. One web site says it's 10/100, another says it's 10/100/1000. Can anyone tell me if it's actually a Gigabit router? Thanks.

EDIT: the back of the unit says 10/100, so whatever web site says that the Rev E has gigabit is wrong. I need a new router.

I'm confused as to why I was told the Rev E I have would work with gigabit speeds when it clearly does not.

0 Likes
Re: Was I supposed to get a new router with gigabit?
jonjones1
Legend

Call 1-800-VERIZON tell them to replace your router. Tell them what you said here.

they are pretty good at replacing routers when necessary.

Sorry I forgot the spec site.

http://www.actiontec.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/MI424WR-Fiber-Router-Datasheetv2-1.pdf

Doesnt seem to be a gigabyte router. 10/100

0 Likes
Gigabit upgrade story continues - customer service needs an upgrade
starmannj

My original post is here Was I supposed to get a new router with gigabit?

I didn't want my CS story to get lost.

Ok, so here's an update. 

I called V this morning and told them that the guy who did the installation said I didn't need a new router. The CS rep said "well, that's a lie". He said that I just have to take my order number to my local V store and they'll give me a modem. Great.

So I go there, and the rep at the store said that because the order was made a month ago, that they can't give me a modem. What? Even though the work was done yesterday, the order was made a month ago and orders expire in three days. That makes NO sense to me. Am I supposed to make two orders when the tech should have given me a **bleep** modem in the first place?

The store rep said I could call V and have them make an order and then they'll give me the new modem. The problem is, the CS rep I spoke to in chat said that I already had a new modem installed (WRONG) and that my service is working (YES, but at 10% speed). She didn't understand that my router is like 10 years old and I need a new one for gigabit speed. I told her at least twice that my router only supports 10/100, not 1000. She was convinced that I had a tech problem (I don't). So she puts me on with tech support who said "I see your router wasn't upgraded. We're sending you a new one".

This is the kind of customer service that annoys me because people should know what they're talking about. Hell, I'm not a Verizon employee and I know more than the CS people.

• The installer should have known that the 100/100 speed I was getting was too slow for gigabit.
  • The CS rep I spoke to this morning should have known about the three day rule.
  • The CS rep I spoke to later today should have known that the Actiontec MI424 doesn't do gigabit.

This is 2018. This level of CS should not happen anymore.

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit upgrade story continues - customer service needs an upgrade
jonjones1
Legend

I told you and showed you that your router was not gigabyte.

however Verizon gives a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee so you could always just cancel service if you are unhappy.

secondly since the install was just 3 days it is possible to get the installer back to correct the error and bring the new router with him/her.

hooefully the person you spoke with actually sent the new Quantum router and just did not shine you on to get you off the phone. There should be a confirmation email or an online account notation stating it was sent. 

Hope it all works out.

0 Likes