Was told i need a new ONT to switch services
js869215
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today I was told by a sales rep that I will need to upgrade to the newest ONT in order to get my new services, AND MUST pay the $99 service charge. We are changing services, from gigabit with custom tv and phone, to gigabit with custom tv. I currently have a I-211L-M ONT and a G1100 router. Does anyone know if Verizon is using a newer ONT?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Was told i need a new ONT to switch services
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Think I'd second the chat route if that works.   Try the words "drop phone service" instead of "switch services".    For that matter, you should be able to drop the phone service online without even needing a visit unless Vz disable that via the portal.

If you want to make any other changes, do those later online.

Maybe Vz has you marked in their system as having an old ONT and never updated the record for some reason.   I had a similar problem where they kept insisting I was still provisioned on MoCA for internet when I had switch to ethernet over a year prior.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 211ml is the newest ONT that Verizon uses so I'm not sure why that would trigger a change. Maybe there is a new version of the 211ml they want to install. The rep might have been misinformed. Did you get and actual install date and time window?

js869215
Enthusiast - Level 2

They would not complete the order without setting an appointment. There is an option for the appointment online to leave a message for the technician, I will probably explain using that. Maybe the technician can cancel the appointment.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you're just dropping phone.  As you've the latest ONT, there is no need to replace it.

Try using chat, they can be more helpful than the phone reps.  You can also try the VZ direct forum over on dslreports; they are very helpful.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

Good Luck.

js869215
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Edg1 and gs0b.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Think I'd second the chat route if that works.   Try the words "drop phone service" instead of "switch services".    For that matter, you should be able to drop the phone service online without even needing a visit unless Vz disable that via the portal.

If you want to make any other changes, do those later online.

Maybe Vz has you marked in their system as having an old ONT and never updated the record for some reason.   I had a similar problem where they kept insisting I was still provisioned on MoCA for internet when I had switch to ethernet over a year prior.