Re: Weak WiFi signal in my home
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, I tried to change the output channel on the range extender.  When I couldn't find a way to do it, I called Belkin tech support and they told me there is no way.  The output channel is the same as the input channel.

I have two wired routers running at opposite ends of our house.  The  Actiontec is set to channel 2 and the DLink, operating as a wireless access point only, is set to channel 9.

I'm well aware of the benefit of channels 1, 6, and 11, but I have neighbors already on those channels and so I chose channels that I wouldn't be sharing with neighbors.

But back to the problem with the Belkin range extender, whatever channel you have the network it's extending set to, the extender's output will be set to that same channel.  A design flaw in my opinion.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're repeating an existing Wireless connection you won't be able to adjust the channel. The best way to extend a Wireless network is using Wireless access points wired to the network. The data hits the cable at the most efficient point in a wireless network, and you have more wireless capacity to spare throughout the house. APs can also let you build a dense 5Ghz network which will ensure fast speeds without as much interference.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:

If you're repeating an existing Wireless connection you won't be able to adjust the channel. The best way to extend a Wireless network is using Wireless access points wired to the network. The data hits the cable at the most efficient point in a wireless network, and you have more wireless capacity to spare throughout the house. APs can also let you build a dense 5Ghz network which will ensure fast speeds without as much interference.

I've never had much luck with wireless repeaters and have always favored wired connections feeding wireless devices. If you read my earlier reply to the original poster you'll see I recommend they improve their coverage using coax or Cat 5/6 to a wife access point.  However, afer reading jumipn68ny's postiive comments about the Belkin range extender,.. I thought I'd give it a try.

I passed my poor results along to possibly help someone else reading this post in the future.

(BTW....I can't see any technical reason why a range extender couldn't be built that would receive a signal on one channel and re-broadcast it on another.  Belkin just doesn't do it with the N300.) 

0 Likes
PawSouth

I currently am experiencing the same problem with the WiFi in my home. I have a netgear wireless range extender but the connection drops frequently and I am thinking to buy an Actiontec fios router on ebay, it can work as an MoCA bridge and save you some money. Here's a link to some information on thisEthernet via Coax.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

(BTW....I can't see any technical reason why a range extender couldn't be built that would receive a signal on one channel and re-broadcast it on another.  Belkin just doesn't do it with the N300.) 

I have seen these, but for whatever reason it seems adding that feature alone justifies adding 2-2.5x the cost to the unit. Realistically it's just a dual radio solution using a software middleware acting as a client bridge. Something any DD-WRT enabled router can do for less cost when it has two radios to work with.

0 Likes