Web Server
HuXu

I am trying to setup my own personal web server.  The webserver works from within my local network but it doesnt work from the external.  I nmap'd my server from its internal IP and it shows 80 as open, and then I nmap'd my external IP and it shows 80 as filtered.  I have the Westell UltraLine Series3 router and I have port 80 forwarded but it looks like there is a setting I am missing as it should be open on the router not filtered.

How do I get 80 open?

0 Likes
Re: Web Server
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Did you check the ports from the outside?

Such as any of these..

grc.com shields up

http://www.dyndns.com/support/tools/openport.html

http://www.whatsmyip.org/ports/

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

?

#2 When you forwared, you forwarded to the IP Address on your computer?

0 Likes
HuXu

Alright I used those websites and they tell me port 80 is closed.  I have 80 forwarded to my server and my server has 80 open.  What settings do i need to check?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Verizon's last official announcement was that port 80 is still blocked on residential accounts. There has been some talk that some areas have unblocked port 80 for residential but there is no official word on that. Basically according to Verizon, port 80 is only for business accts since web servers are not allowed on residential accts.

So if you are in an area that still shows port 80 as blocked, then you only have two choices, run your server on a port other than port 80, or upgrade to a business acct $$$$$$$$

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the DHCP Range of the router?

This is most likely at Advanced -> IP Address Distribution.

#2 The router has UPnP turned off?

This is most likely at Advanced ->UPnP.

#3 When you were forwarding, what IP Address did you try to forward to?

If desired, show a screen shot of what is in the router's forwarding screen.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Not to rain on your parade, but using a residential account to host a web server is explicitly forbidden in the Terms of Service.

Specifically, section 4.3:

Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. You may not resell the Service, use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

You agree to these when you sign up for the service. I wouldn't recommend breaking them.

0 Likes