Web sites are reporting incorrect location
blegs38552
Contributor - Level 1

I use two computers, a Windows 8 32 bit laptop, and a Windows 64 bit desktop. Both are running Windows 8.

When I go to some retail web sites (Wal-Mart, Staples, for example) and try to set a store as my local store, they report my location as Newark, New Jersey, some 50 miles north of my actual location (just north of Asbury Park, NJ). Consequently, all of the stores that they report are outside of my local geographical area). I queried one of the retailer's tech support contacts, and they suggested that it might be related to my router's IP address location. I did check my DCM address location, which I manually set (74.105.92.5) by typing it into Google, and it returned an address of Asbury Park, NJ.

I assume that my router's IP address is different. Is there anywhere that I can see what my router's  (not my computer's) IP address is? Once I know that, I can try and see where it is located, and possibly talk to Verizon about changing it to a local location.

0 Likes
Re: Web sites are reporting incorrect location
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not going to help.

Verizon uses a large pool of IP addresses for each of its areas.  At pretty much anytime your IP could change to another in the pool.  And most of these websites only know approximately where these sites are.  Here in FL they normally think I'm in Tampa.  In NY they normally think I am somewhere in Queens (NYC).

0 Likes