Websites unreachable in Northern Virginia/DC area?
agoldstein
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since yesterday, I haven't been able to reach some sites reliably, or use some sites at all. (Including most of verizon.com, which has made this all that much more fun).

Looking at tracerts, packets seem to be not getting routed reliably either from verizon-gni.net or alter.net, so I think (?) it's still in Verizon's bailiwick. But I don't see any indication verizon's aware of the problem. (Again, ?)

Anybody else having this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Websites unreachable in Northern Virginia/DC area?
wessev
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, have been experiencing this since Dec 6th, and the issue has gotten much worse on the 8th.  Almost anything site I try to get to times out or the address doesn't get properly resolved.  With persistence some web sites will eventually load, sometimes quickly, sometimes very slowly and/or partially.  Media sites like Netflix, Amazon, Sony Entertainment Network and Vudu will not load at all.

Glad to finally know it it something in the area after spending a day of dealing with poor QoS and router reboots.

agoldstein
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tore my (remaining) hair out about it all night--I used my mobile phone as a wireless hotspot to verify that the sites were reachable via non-Verizon routing, and I signed up for trial proxy account that lets me route around whatever damage Verizon has going on as far as web browsing is concerned. But I can't do non-Web things with that (at least not without doing voodoo to my machine), and at this price, we shouldn't have to, should we?

Edit: Also, wanted to confirm that my experience was the same--along with Verizon.com not loading for me, neither did Amazon.com or Adobe.com. Some sites, like Facebook, have had intermittent periods of usability and outage.

Soooo... yeah. Whoever has the tool belt at Verizon, you might want to go ahead and... put it on...

0 Likes
cfotoceo

I too have this issue, I live in Pentagon City in the River House Apts and it seems this is a large issue, but it's taken Verizon days to catch it.  I spent two days on the phone resetting, booting etc and I mentioned their is construction around the area could it be a wire has been cut.  Seems that may be the case.  

I'm still without full internet, TV is fine.  Hope they resolve this quickly.  

0 Likes
cfotoceo

Yes, same issue for two days now.

0 Likes
agoldstein
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in the Archstone Pentagon City. You got someone from Verizon to admit that there was a problem? I haven't been able to get them to do that, yet. Still not working here, too.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

might be a routing problem.  

Do the following and let us know if a new IP helped?

Actiontec MI424-WR  
1 Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
2 Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
3 Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
4 Click SETTINGS
5 Click RELEASE
6 Click APPLY
7 Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

Leave it disconnected for AT LEAST 5 minutes preferably 10 and then reconnect it.

If you reconnect it too fast, it will grab the same route, same IP and you will be in the same boat.

0 Likes
rcrc123
I am having the same problem from Arlington VA, sites timing out/not loading, etc. Been like this since at least thursday the 6th of december.
0 Likes
cfotoceo

You may also want to check your on demand feature, mine locks up as keeps saying,  "Loading"  This is more than an internet issue.  I checked my Fios options on the TV and they are not all functional.  Customer support is sending a tech out on Tuesday.  Seems several of us ar behaving this issue.  I find it a tad strange, not everyone in my apartment is affected.  I can go to my neighbors and they are full up and running, others are not.

0 Likes
aldcu

Verizon must have done something in the last 30 mins or so because it is finally fixed for me!!

FINALLY!!!

0 Likes