Weekly Reboot of the G3100 Router as Preventative Maintenance
wsr203
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would be interested in the Communities' advice on whether to schedule a weekly reboot of the G3100.

Occasionally, network connections issues (both WIFI and Ethernet) have been resolved via using the "Reboot Router" choice on the router Admin page. 

Rather than wait for network connection issues to arise, the thought is I would perform a weekly reboot of the router via the Admin page (not unplugging and plugging back the power source to the router).

My question for the Community - is there any harm in doing a weekly reboot of the router as a way to be proactive and preventative of network issues? In other words, would a weekly reboot of the router cause more harm to the system than help?

Any opinion and advice is appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Weekly Reboot of the G3100 Router as Preventative Maintenance
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typically, frequently rebooting electronic devices shortens their lifespan. This statement is debated whether it is still applicable now.

@wsr203 wrote:

network connections issues (both WIFI and Ethernet) have been resolved via using the "Reboot Router" choice on the router Admin page.

Routers should be abled to run 24/7/365 without issues. If you need to reboot the router as "preventative maintenance," there are some underlying issues in your network, such as broadcast flooding, multicast flooding, legacy WiFi devices, and improperly configured band steering or access point steering.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typically, frequently rebooting electronic devices shortens their lifespan. This statement is debated whether it is still applicable now.

@wsr203 wrote:

network connections issues (both WIFI and Ethernet) have been resolved via using the "Reboot Router" choice on the router Admin page.

Routers should be abled to run 24/7/365 without issues. If you need to reboot the router as "preventative maintenance," there are some underlying issues in your network, such as broadcast flooding, multicast flooding, legacy WiFi devices, and improperly configured band steering or access point steering.

Dhumbay

Then Each Time we call to for customer support they request to reboot the router ... then it starts work, there must be option to reboot the router, the option will be depending on customer whether they want to use or not ... the device is not compactable for 24 Hour 365 Days Run. I don't see any router which is made for it, in my research I found commercial switched are made for that purpose. Thank you (hope the upcoming update firmware will update this option for customer to made it easy. or Verizon just need to collect the phone calls and problem to show other we fix or satisfy this customer ... 

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes