Weird DNS issue
WXIXW

Hi, I come across a very weird DNS issue.

Initially, I was using an automatic DNS server and couldn't connect to Google and a bunch of other websites, except for every one or two hours (yes, sometimes it works but not after a few refreshing). The error info is dns_probe_finished_no_internet. So I just changed my DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 (also tried OpenDNS, Cloudflare). That solves connecting to Google (mostly) but the same problem still exists with my university website, DMV, etc. I have no such problems when I am at school or using 4G on my cellphone. So I am pretty sure this lies with Verizon Fios itself.

Any ideas on how to tackle this problem? Maybe things other than DNS involved here. Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Weird DNS issue
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does this issue perisst when using a different browser?

Have you tried pinging 8.8.8.8 while still connected to your wifi?

WXIXW
Yes, the problem exists whether chrome or safari. Ping 8.8.8.8 is perfect when using Google public DNS. But still, a bunch of websites is super slow and encounter DNS problem. Even getting on fios forum could have this issue.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Seems strange because FIOS has no control over an external DNS.

You are going straight to their server.

Where did you make this change?

In your PC?

WXIXW

No, I changed it through the setting webpage of the router (192.168.1.1). Changing through my Mac Network setting still doesn't work very well.

If FIOS directly goes to an external DNS, then where is this issue from? It's haunting me for a while. I just get FIOS for less than 2 weeks.

0 Likes