Westell 9100 VM MoCa out?
Misk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have fios internet only and have a Westell 9100 VM. I would like to get 2 or 3 moca adapters to provide wired internet to other  rooms in my apartment. What I wanted to know is if I can plug the coax straight into the 9100 VM or would I need to use an ethernet port to an adapter to the cable? Also any reccomendations on what is the best moca adapter to use?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated as I have done quite a bit of searching and not found an answer specificaly for the 9100 VM model. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 9100 VM MoCa out?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Misk wrote:

I have fios internet only and have a Westell 9100 VM. I would like to get 2 or 3 moca adapters to provide wired internet to other  rooms in my apartment. What I wanted to know is if I can plug the coax straight into the 9100 VM or would I need to use an ethernet port to an adapter to the cable? Also any reccomendations on what is the best moca adapter to use?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated as I have done quite a bit of searching and not found an answer specificaly for the 9100 VM model. 

You can do it either way, coax or ethernet, in either case you need to configure the secondary adapters/routers with a static address on the 192,168.1 subnet and turn off the dhcp service

Your 9100vm is presumably already coax connected.  so long as all the other coax connectors in your residence are all tied to the same coax network then you can just connect other moca devices to coax ports in other rooms, you would not connect anything else to the existing 9100.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Misk wrote:

You can do it either way, coax or ethernet, in either case you need to configure the secondary adapters/routers with a static address on the 192,168.1 subnet and turn off the dhcp service

Your 9100vm is presumably already coax connected.  so long as all the other coax connectors in your residence are all tied to the same coax network then you can just connect other moca devices to coax ports in other rooms, you would not connect anything else to the existing 9100.

Misk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think that about covers it for me. Thank you for the reply viafax999

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:

in either case you need to configure the secondary adapters/routers with a static address on the 192,168.1 subnet and turn off the dhcp service

MOCA adapters are layer 2 bridges and do NOT have their own IP address, nor do they have a DHCP server. 

When using an Actiontec or Westell router as a MOCA adapter, then yes, they need to be assigned a static IP address and have their DHCP server disabled. 

Some MOCA adapters do have a 169.254.x.x  (link-local) address that can be used to access the adapter's configuration pages.

@Op - The Westell 9100VM has a MOCA LAN adapter built in, so there is no need for a separate MOCA adapter at the router.

Misk1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Anti-Phish. This info will help quite a bit when I start looking for moca adapters.

0 Likes