Westell 9100EM and Linsys WRT54G together
CJRadioman

In my house, the Westell 9100EM router is in the Far Northeast corner of the home where my (rather old) home computer is located...  Our bedrooms are located on the exact opposite corner of the home, in the SW area.  Wireless service is quite poor in that area.

I have an existing Linksys WRT-54G router that worked very well when I had SBC DSL at an older house in another area.  What I'm thinking is to put the WRT-54G in the middle of the house or in the back bedroom to provide wireless to that corner.

I see a lot of information on the boards and so forth about the Actiontec router and doing this but very little on the 9100EM router.  Can anyone point me in a direction that gives more thorough directions for this?  Has someone made this work?

Thanks in Advance for the help!

CJ

Lewisville, Texas

0 Likes
Re: Westell 9100EM and Linsys WRT54G together
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps this might help

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
Re: Westell 9100EM and Linsys WRT54G together
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CJRadioman wrote:

In my house, the Westell 9100EM router is in the Far Northeast corner of the home where my (rather old) home computer is located...  Our bedrooms are located on the exact opposite corner of the home, in the SW area.  Wireless service is quite poor in that area.

I have an existing Linksys WRT-54G router that worked very well when I had SBC DSL at an older house in another area.  What I'm thinking is to put the WRT-54G in the middle of the house or in the back bedroom to provide wireless to that corner.

I see a lot of information on the boards and so forth about the Actiontec router and doing this but very little on the 9100EM router.  Can anyone point me in a direction that gives more thorough directions for this?  Has someone made this work?

Thanks in Advance for the help!

CJ

Lewisville, Texas

Only if you have an ethernet port where you want to put it.  If you do connect to it locally hard wired and change the subnet to 192.168.2 and set the wanport to a fixed address on the 192.168.1 subnet e.g. 192.168.1.254  Then connect the wan port of the linksys to a lan port of the 9100em via the in house wiring.  the linksys by default cannot connect by wirelss to the 9100em.

If you have no inhouse wiring and are somewhat technically savvy and your wrt54g is a newer rev you can hack the firmware to change it to a wireless forwarder - see tomato.  Google it on the net.  Be warned that if you mess it up you have a very light boat anchor.

0 Likes