Westell 9100em router forgets custom DNS Setting
miketx1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is anyone else trying to use custom DNS settings with their Westell 9100em routers?  My problem is that when/if it loses its connection to Verizon (either system glitch or power on/off), the DNS settings revert to the system default (choose automatically).  I use OpenDNS...and its great. This is very frustrating.  I used to have an Actiontec that worked just fine before the router itself died..  This problem seems to be specific to Westell - it remembers everything else (SSID, security keys etc) but resets the DNS settings.

Tech support has been no help.  They just  send me a new Westell (arrrrrgh!) that does the same thing .  Apparently the shipping people just pull "a router" off the shelves and ship them.  Seems like a firmware bug to me.  Today they sent me to the 'Billing group" who told me that I'd have to pay $150 if I wanted an Actiontec!!!! 

All I want is for them to send me the latest Actiontec (since I never had this problem with them before).  

Anyone else run into this?  How'd you resolve it?  

Thanks

Re: Westell 9100em router forgets custom DNS Setting
Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3
Hello miketx1,

We can test this on our end. Please check your private messages. I sent you a private message to get started.

Shamika_Vz
Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

0 Likes
miketx1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I filled out the form.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

We received the form information and will be in contact shortly.

0 Likes
miketx1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its been almost a week... not a word.  The problem continues to persist. 

Caboose1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mike,

I suspect I'm suffering from the same issue, or something very similar.  I haven't had time to invesitgate further.  Never had any problems when I had my last Actiontec.  This Westell box is causing us to lose internet/WiFi several times a day.  Getting calls from my wife daily at work about the internet not working is getting OLD, FAST!!!

Please post up your resolution....              when you get it.

Thanks,

Michael

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Login to the Westell at http://192.168.1.1/ using the Username of admin and the Password being the Router's Serial Number. Visit the Advanced section and check for Firmware Updates being available to the router. That may solve it.

0 Likes
miketx1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Version is 1.03.00.08 - that seems to be the latest from what I can tell. All 3 routers I've been shipped have this version.

miketx1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The router rebooted itself...DNS lost.

Aug 16 18:55:54 2011System LogMessagedaemon.info WAN-en2210: link down, device will be down

miketx1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still no resolution - after the router reset 2x in a day, Verizon sent out a Tech - who after looking at things (and me demonstrating the bug), said "Well I don't have any answers and I don't have any Actiontecs on my truck.  I don't think they give those out any more except to business customers".  He said he'd keep an eye out for one for me (that was Monday).  

Disappointing.