What Ethernet Cat was used for my Fios install?
Innernette

Hello,

I had Fios installed today and the installer installed an ethernet wall jack for the router.  I was wondering which Ethernet Cat was used to create the wall jack.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What Ethernet Cat was used for my Fios install?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

None of us can say for sure what was used.
As stated, most likely cat 5.

Either look at the cable from the ONT side to see how it is labelled or pull the wallplate off and look at the cable there.

Only way to know for sure.

BTW, this is a peer to peer support forum, so we all answer the best we can.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Innernette wrote:

Hello,

I had Fios installed today and the installer installed an ethernet wall jack for the router.  I was wondering which Ethernet Cat was used to create the wall jack.

I am going to say CAT 5e ethernet cable. It is more than adiquite for the higher speeds.

Innernette

I am going to say, you don't know.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Innernette wrote:

I am going to say, you don't know.

I am going to say "you are wrong"

the installer used Cat 5e ethernet cable from the ONT to my router.

if I gave him Cat 6 he would have used that. As I said below it is adequate for the installation. 

And if the installers use this grade why would they change for a wall plate?

Just because you don't like or agree with the answer. Doesn't mean the information was not correct.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

None of us can say for sure what was used.
As stated, most likely cat 5.

Either look at the cable from the ONT side to see how it is labelled or pull the wallplate off and look at the cable there.

Only way to know for sure.

BTW, this is a peer to peer support forum, so we all answer the best we can.

NoServiceHere1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you look at the cable? Most (almost all…) Cat 5 cable with have the specifications listed on the cable.  You may have to use a bright light and a magnifying glass to read it, but it's undoubtably there. 

After you write down what you have, hook the cable back up and search Google "Cat X Technical Specification" and you learn more than you ever wanted to know…

See the photo…

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It doesn’t matter. Cat5e is rated for a gig up to 328 feet. Cat 6 is rated for 10 gig up to 164 feet and 6a will do 10 gig at 328 feet. We don’t know for sure what he ran but whatever it was it will be adequate.  If you want to know just follow the cable to the ONT. That is the main FiOS box in the basement or outside. The rating will be on the jacket of the cable. 

PaulSB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just asked the same question as I was going to use an adapter on my setup and I didn't want to use a smaller cat cable then was installed. Upon checking the Ethernet wire comming in, it's was labeled directly on the wire. They only used a cat 5. Why would they use anything bigger? Verizon just wants to make money and if a cat 5 is good enough they wouldn't waste money on a bigger cable. I believe if you provided a bigger cable on the install they would install what you requested but what they install is the bare minimum needed which is a cat 5.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes