What Gets Installed in the Apt?
anthonycm

I'm getting FiOS TV and Internet installed on Wednesday.  The little video shown in "Getting Started" wasn't exactly clear to me.  It looks like most items are installed in the basement/common area of the building.  What actually gets installed within the apartment itself?  Is it just a router and a set top box for cable?

Thanks,

Anthony

0 Likes
Re: What Gets Installed in the Apt?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There are two types of apartment installs.

1. Microduct is installed to each unit.  In this case, an ONT is installed in your unit.
  2. If it's not feasible to install microduct, then a shared ONT is installed in a common area and existing phone and coax is used.  In this case, your WAN connection is provided using VDSL.

Without knowing if microduct is installed, it's impossible to tell which type of installation you will have.

Re: What Gets Installed in the Apt?
dhlunar
Enthusiast - Level 3

We got FiOS installed about a year ago (and we love it), and we also live in a apartment.

About two to three years ago the building had contractors come in and install the wiring for FiOS in every single apartment, even though we where not required to sign up with them.  After the contractors left there was a wall plate that had a sticker that said Verizon on it in the bedroom closet, and there was also two new outlets installed, each with a phone and TV outlet.  One outlet was installed in the living room and the other was on the other side of the wall in the bedroom.

When I got FiOS service about a year ago the tech came and installed a battery backup and ONT in our bedroom closet.  I asked what the wall plate was and he said it was just fiber optic cable that was wound up that lead to the floors main switch in the garbage room.  I thought that he was going to be there for 30 minutes tops but he was there for 5 hours.  After installing the battery backup and the ONT he setup the router and the cable box.  He also provided me with a long coax cord for my router and set top box because both items where on the other side of the room from the outlet in the living room.  

Hope this helps.