What a deal!
Ohmygod1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been with Verizon FiOS internet since the beginning back in 2005 when FiOS is first available in the area, somehow many year then my internet speed drop to 5dn 2up mbps without being told. Then I got and email offered from Verizon for the Quantum internet speed upgrade to 50dn 25up for additional $10 a month, well I toke the deal and sign up for it and pay for it since. Two weeks ago my equipment went down and have service replacing the equipment and I was told the equipment I have is the first generation FiOS equipment with the most speed it can deliver is may be up to 30mbps, that the equipment should have been upgraded. Well! That is not the end of the story. I call Verizon customer service and told the rep about it, the rep told me the Quantum speed internet upgrade to 50dn 25up is all about equipment that capable of delivering that speed (the router that Verizon sent me), it is not what I am going to get, it is still depending on the speed of the internet on my actual account which is 5dn 2up mbps. Oh my God! What a rip off all these years that I paid, something that promised but never delivered and the equipment is not even capable of delivering it.

Here is the math:

Internet account speed 5dn 2up mbps + upgrade to Quantum 50dn 25up mbps equipment capability up to 30mbps = $73/mo and the actual internet speed I got is 5dn 2up mbps.

See what a great deal I got! So beware, you are not getting what you pay for!

Re: What a deal!
GuardianHope
Enthusiast - Level 3

From what I read of that wall of text is that you upgraded to Quantum Service but you still have the first generation FiOS equipment?

It's Verizon's responsibility to upgrade that when you go Quantum. When going Quantum you are entitled to a Quantum Gateway at minimum and they will usually swap out the ONT (that's the big box either in your Garage or outside your hourse where the telephone box is attached).

However, BPON ONTs (those are what originally came with FiOS) should get you to about 35/35. GPON ONTs (what's been used since forever now) should get you to 500/500.

Quantum Packages don't have a "50/25" option - they are symmetrical meaning you got the "50/50 package." The only non-symetrical package is the one they offer in less fortunate areas (i.e. areas of poverty, low income, etc.) and that's 3Mbps/1Mbps. They also offer that to the "Fiber is the only fix customers" for those who keep holding onto DSL even though it's not considered broadband anymore by the FCC.

Just prior to Quantum's introduction, VZ packages were not symmetrical which was a depearture from their previously symmetrical package offerings.

It sounds like you need a GPON ONT and a Quantum Gateway. You also probably need to have a tech dispatched to make sure everything gets up and running.

0 Likes
Re: What a deal! verizon rip off.
Ohmygod1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is what I have on my Verizon account

Fios Internet Speeds Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps
+ Fios Quantum 50/25 Upgrade

The point here is that I was told from the verizon tech who came to replace my equipment recently that the old equipment doesn't delivered the speed show on my account, and the customer service rep told me that I only get what my actual speed on my account that is 5 Mbps/2 Mbps regardless of the Quantum upgrade (50/25). I am not getting what I paid for all these times. if it is not a rip off then what.

0 Likes
Re: What a deal!
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ohmygod,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes