What are minimum requirements for wifi with Verizon FIOS Internet?
deltaskye1

I've never had wifi in my home and want to have it when I get my new FIOS service. I know I need one computer to serve as the base/router. What are the minimum specs/requirements that computer should have to support FIOS wifi ? One reason I ask is that I'm wondering if a mini-notebook will suffice; I no longer have a desktop, only a laptop and mini-notebook.

Also, will Verizon install and set up the wifi service so that it's working properly? Will I need to provide any of the equipment, such as the router?I work from home and cannot handle lack of Internet connectivity for too long.

My brother recommended that I ask Verizon to hard wire my connection from the wall to the base computer. Any reason I should not do that?

I'm in Arlington, VA, and currently have Verizon DSL for connectivity.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What are minimum requirements for wifi with Verizon FIOS Internet?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

As spacedebris outlined, you do not need any full time device for your wifi to work with the exception of the Verizon provided router.

Very specifically, the router stays on.  You have no other equipment in the house running.  You come home and fire up your laptop.  Poof.  The laptop will connect to your LAN via wifi.

The router itself is the "base" device.   None other is required.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@deltaskye wrote:

I've never had wifi in my home and want to have it when I get my new FIOS service. I know I need one computer to serve as the base/router. What are the minimum specs/requirements that computer should have to support FIOS wifi ? One reason I ask is that I'm wondering if a mini-notebook will suffice; I no longer have a desktop, only a laptop and mini-notebook.

Also, will Verizon install and set up the wifi service so that it's working properly? Will I need to provide any of the equipment, such as the router?I work from home and cannot handle lack of Internet connectivity for too long.

My brother recommended that I ask Verizon to hard wire my connection from the wall to the base computer. Any reason I should not do that?

I'm in Arlington, VA, and currently have Verizon DSL for connectivity.

Thanks.

Well, 1st you dont need a computer to serve as anything. The router you will get from Verizon is already wireless enabled.

So all you need is a modern computer with wireless capiblity. Thats it.

Any wireless device will work....

Notebooks, mini-notebooks, laptops, desktops, wireless enabled cell phones (Iphones for example), Ipads, etc.

As for hard wired. Yes, if at all possible, any computer connected to the service should be hardwired. Hardwired just means a faster, more secure, more reliable connection. Is it required? No. But if possible it is a good thing.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Oh forgot..  system requirements

Processor Speed RAM Memory External Media Drive Wired Ethernet*
Windows 7

Minimum

Recommended

800 MHz

1.2 GHz

512 MB

1 GB

DVD-ROM

DVD-ROM

10/100 NIC

Supports 100 Mbps

Windows Vista

Minimum

Recommended

800 MHz

1.2 GHz

512 MB

1 GB

DVD-ROM

DVD-ROM

10/100 NIC

Supports 100 Mbps

Windows XP (Service Pak 2)

Minimum

Recommended

300 MHz

1.2 GHz

128 MB

512 MB

CD-ROM or DVD

CD-ROM or DVD

10/100 NIC

Supports 100 Mbps

Windows 2000

Minimum

Recommended

233 MHz

1.2 GHz

128 MB

512 MB

CD-ROM or DVD

CD-ROM or DVD

10/100 NIC

Supports 100 Mbps

Mac OS 10.3.9 or higher

Minimum

2 GHz

2 GB

CD-ROM or DVD

Supports 100 Mbps

Mac OS 10.1 or higher

Minimum

233 MHz

128 MB

CD-ROM or DVD

10/100 NIC

the only addition would be the device needs wireless capability if you want to connect wirelessly. Most modern systems have wireless now-a-days. Except for desktops, they need wireless added to them if you want them to connect wirelessly.

deltaskye1

Thanks for the very fast and helpful answer.

Will Verizon actually do the set up and test that wifi is up and running or will they do an installation of equipment components and I will have to do some set up? I'm wondering what part the whole process is my job.

Looking at your system requirements...my mini-notebook doesn't have a DVD or CDROM drive. Do I need one, for example to launch any software during installation?

Thank you again.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The Verizon installer will make sure your wifi is up and running.  However, it will be up to you to fine tune some settings.

The wifi router Verizon will give you comes with WEP enabled.  You'll have to add the WEP password to any devices using your wifi network, or preferably change the router to WPA or WPA2 with a new password you come up with yourself.  Then you'd have to enter that new password when connecting to your wifi network for the first time with each machine.

You don't need any software to run FiOS, wired or wifi.  The installer should have a laptop with him and he can do any initial setup and testing with that.

deltaskye1

To be sure I understand--are you saying I don't provide what I call a "base" device that connects to the router and must remain connected to the router, in addition to my laptop?

I was thinking I had to have a fixed, dedicated PC connected to a router. Thanks.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

As spacedebris outlined, you do not need any full time device for your wifi to work with the exception of the Verizon provided router.

Very specifically, the router stays on.  You have no other equipment in the house running.  You come home and fire up your laptop.  Poof.  The laptop will connect to your LAN via wifi.

The router itself is the "base" device.   None other is required.