What are the black boxes?
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

my service was converted to fios yesterday. It took hours, as the order was messed up, so I forgot to ask the worker what all the black boxes were (I wish Verizon had heard of miniaturization! Everyone doesn't live in huge mansions!) I know which one is the router. And I figure the box with Christmas lights is some sort of modem, but what is the long black box? I also see that it has a port for a charging cord. When is that used? Can anyone enlighten me? And does Verizon have a manual for this stuff?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What are the black boxes?
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, Cancel this. I finally got someone at Verizon who could answer my questions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure what boxes you are referring to.

Can you post what the model numbers of them are?

And you can probably Google each model number and get a description of what each is.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

My guess would be that the black box is an STB connected to a TV?

Model numbers off the devices would help with identity.

There is no modem involved in a fios setup,  Typically there is an ont that converts the fiber signal to ethernet, coax and phone.

0 Likes
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, when googled the numbers on the stuff I got no results. Possibly read them wrong. I do see that the line goes into the box with green blinking lights that is labeled ONT I-211M-L, ( when I tried googling that number, I got "site cant be reached!). Then it goes to another rectangular box with a blue "ONT Reset" button. That is the one with the input that looks as though it takes current from the wall if needed. Finally, it goes to a huge flat thing that has the network name and password, so I figure that is the router, or whatever it's called in fios.

i am going to try calling Verizon and see if I can get any information. I should have had the installer go over it, but after 6 hours trying to install phone and Internet (no TV), when all the outside work had been done already, we were all exhausted, and I had to go run errands...I had been told it would take 2 hours! Silly me!

0 Likes
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, Cancel this. I finally got someone at Verizon who could answer my questions.

0 Likes