Re: What can we do to actually fix Verizon's Netflix throttling?
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

"Netflix and FiOS haven't promised anything together. You pay Verizon - they promise 35/35. You separately pay Netflix they promise HD with 5.1 (for you're PS3). There's no agreement between Verizon and Netflix. It might be unfair to you and the other consumers, but that's how it is."

I am paying Verizon for 35 Mbps Internet service.

Netflix streams Super HD @ 7 Mbps.

So why can't I receive HD video from Netflix with Verizon?

0 Likes
chomper87
Enthusiast - Level 3
Netflix has offered Verizon a "free" solution to mitigate the congestion between CDN's that Comcast recently agreed to implement while Verizon has pa$$ed on. What does this tell us regarding Verizon's desire to resolve the Netflix HD video streaming debacle?

It tells us that Verizon is not in the BUSINESS of providing FREE services. Comcast and Netflix didn't agree to for it to be free. OpenConnect is a fine idea. I'm not arguing that. From Verizon's point of view it doesn't make sense. Same as ATT, CenturyLink.

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

What FREE service {please keep your posts courteous}?

We are PAYING for our services. We are customers. Verizon promised us 50MBPS connection to the INTERNET, not just to a speedtest site!

They don't deliver 3MBPS with netflix, but when I hide the endpoint suddenly that's not an issue anymore!

Obiously is not Netflix fault, since I can get that speed using a VPN, is obviously Verizon's fault.

I don't care why they cannot provide what they promise, but this is false advertising.

0 Likes
chomper87
Enthusiast - Level 3
So why can't I receive HD video from Netflix with Verizon

The simplest explanation is Verizon and Netflix have no agreements between each other. You're part is done. You have presumably done everything you can. You aren't satisfied with Verizon / Netfix. You can try switch to another ISP and/or switch to another video streaming service like Amazon.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

@chomper87 wrote:
So why can't I receive HD video from Netflix with Verizon

The simplest explanation is Verizon and Netflix have no agreements between each other. You're part is done. You have presumably done everything you can. You aren't satisfied with Verizon / Netfix. You can try switch to another ISP and/or switch to another video streaming service like Amazon.

So Netflix is already paying for their bandwidth needs. But the person who they pay runs into a problem when it connects to Verizon. The actual roads are big enough, the bridge between them, however, is too narrow and there is debate over who pays. Additionally, because there is so much data coming through, Verizon wants to charge a toll.

The issue is that most customers don't have much choice in ISPs so Verizon has a unfair advantage in price disputes (especially when they partner with competing services), hence why the FCC should be involved.  

If they are currently abusing that power is a bit more debatable. The prices being charged aren't available or easy to interpret. It also depends on your views on how peering should work. Historical, yes, the person sending data pays but I think the person requesting the traffic makes more sense (even though implementation of that would be hard.) That somewhat biases me to be supportive of Netflix.

0 Likes
chomper87
Enthusiast - Level 3
What FREE service

That's in reference to Netflix OpenConnect.

Verizon promised us 50MBPS connection to the INTERNET

I agree ISP marketing should be more explicit. But i'm sure ISPs for simplicity market packages as Internet service. You don't get 50Mbps to the Internet. You get 50Mbps to Verizon. Verizon is just but one of many networks.

not just to a speedtest site

I see, well the Internet makes no sense without companies like Level3 and CenturyLink. These aren't just "some random speed tests".

They don't deliver 3MBPS with netflix

Who doesn't deliver? Verizon? Netflix?

since I can get that speed using a VPN, is obviously Verizon's fault

Not quite. Okay so you have a good VPN. Well perhaps that VPN is on Netflix OpenConnect. You've rerouted around some congestion

0 Likes
chomper87
Enthusiast - Level 3

@VUser50 wrote:

So Netflix is already paying for their bandwidth needs. But the person who they pays runs into a problem when it connects to Verizon. The actual roads are big enough, the bridge between them, however, is too narrow and there is debate over who pays. Additionally, because there is so much data coming through, Verizon wants to charge a toll.

The issue is that most customers don't have much choice in ISPs so Verizon has a unfair advantage in price disputes (especially when they partner with competing services), hence why the FCC should be involved.

I think as time goes on hopefully data exchange between carriers will evolve. Were moving past the historical days. Level3 has a great modern twist - they are moving to "Bit Miles"

http://www.level3.com/en/legal/ip-traffic-exchange-policy/

Verizon certainly does evil things. They lobby for monopoly control of areas. They force municipalities into agreements that prevent competition. They have a lot of power, no debate about that.

I love the idea of small ISPs or a muni ISP. Competition would be great.

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

@chomper87 wrote:

Not quite. Okay so you have a good VPN. Well perhaps that VPN is on Netflix OpenConnect. You've rerouted around some congestion

I don't have a "good VPN". That specific  VPN does not provide internet service, it relies on my existing connection.

If I can reach the destination with faster speeds  when they "hide" my destinaton from Verizon, it is obviously a foul play from Verizon.

Otherwise you claim that a free beta service has a better pipe than Verizon. This is just not true.

They provide VPN service for everyone in the world. Do you think that they have such an internet connection that can handle ALL the traffic? No, they just change the headers of the packets for me, so my provider cannot "snoop" my destination and apply their traffic shaping.

0 Likes
chomper87
Enthusiast - Level 3

@SoNi67 wrote:

it relies on my existing connection.

If I can reach the destination with faster speeds  when they "hide" my destinaton from Verizon, it is obviously a foul play from Verizon.

I think you mentioned Unlocator somewhere? Unloacter is not VPN, it is a DNS based.

Some users have Unlocator confused with a VPN service, which we are not. We are a DNS service and you don’t get a new IP address when using Unlocator (like you would with VPN)
Your traffic remains unchanged. Encrypted traffic remains encrypted and unencrypted remain unencrypted

https://support.unlocator.com/customer/portal/articles/1463062-difference-between-unlocator-and-vpn

Unless I've missed something, its just a DNS gizmo. Instead of the default directing Netflix traffic to Miami or whatever, it somewhat fakes you're location so that you are directed to a server in Atlanta or a server in Dallas. Etc. Verizon could still potentially detect that you are connecting to a Netflix server.

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

Well, true, it might still detect/conter it at some point. I know is not a true VPN, it just "hides" the destination.

But exactly that's why it proves my point that Verizon ACTIVELLY criples our service for their interest. Is not a Netflix issue, is purelly a Verizon choice. Nothing changes in the data path, except the fact that Verizon cannot sniff it like any regular DNS request.

Verizon advertise their speed as being "internet access". If it does a traffic-shaping then is just limited Internet access service.

Their TOS doesn't say nothing about that and frankly I think they are in breach of contract for doing that.

0 Likes