What is an alternative to the Quantum Gateway Router?
Kshah87

Why is this router purchase necessary if I want to upgrade my intenet from 50mbps to 100?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What is an alternative to the Quantum Gateway Router?
ctwise
Enthusiast - Level 2

"But you can get all of the other functionality with your own router."

Sort've. Here are the things the FIOS router adds:

- Remote DVR programming

- On-TV-screen caller id

You can mirror the port forwards settings on the FIOS router, adding them to your own router. If you get rid of the FIOS router completely, then this will work until your WAN IP changes or you add or remove DVRs. This is because the FIOS router negotiates the port forwards and registers them with Verizon.

- "Automatic" fixing of internet connection from DVR menus

- Remote "admin" access for Verizon to troubleshoot your connection

This requires the admin interface running on port 4567 on the FIOS router. No FIOS router, no remote admin interface. Verizon support can't touch your router remotely. You might consider this a bonus, but it means support for issues between your house and Verizon will be difficult.

According to extensive research done by people on dslreports.com, the only reliable way to use your own router is to use _three_ of them. Your own as the main router, the FIOS router, and a third that mimics the WAN interface in front of the FIOS router. This requires you to update the third router IP address to match the _real_ WAN IP address whenever that changes. It also requires you to copy the port forwards from the FIOS router to your own router whenever they change. (https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077)

But this is crazy complicated. Which is why I settled on leaving the FIOS router in place and putting my own router in the FIOS DMZ. Port forwards work normally on my router at the cost of double NAT.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Kshah87wrote:

Why is this router purchase necessary if I want to upgrade my intenet from 50mbps to 100?

It’s not really necessary, however you can use any router you wish. Just buy your own and use that instead. Normally the upsell is just that, to upsell you. I believe the router you have now can handle those speeds and more. Just google the name if the router you are using.

0 Likes
Kshah87

Are you sure? There's no option to remove it from checkout

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They want you to have one that exceeds 100mbps.  The quantum Gateway router is their only current one, although the older Actiontec MI424WR rev I also fits the bill. 

If you don't have FIOS TV its easy to use your own router instead.   If you do have FIOS TV its usually easier to have a Verizon router in the mix.  But you will probably have trouble not ordering the Gatewary router.  Many have just turned around and returned it after installing their own router.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

When I ordered online, I am internet only I chose the “have my own router” from the drop down box. It was not an issue. However when the guy came to install he said activation could only be done with the Quantum router. I told him I don’t want it, need it or will I accept it. He said it was not on the account and after activation I will just put it back into the truck. However I hooked my own and went to the activation site and it was up and running. He was surprised but said he was glad it worked.

like the other poster stated the router you have should work at that speed. In fact if you research the revision of the router your using now, it may handle even greater speeds.

oh and the Quantum router is inferior WiFi wise to real routers like Netgear or Asus.

the key is to have outside antennas and not internal for better range.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As jonjones mentioned - I've overseen about a dozen or so FiOS installs for various clients of mine and about 8 out of the 10 all had technicians who said that the Quantum router is absolutely required for activation. 

This is not true, unless you have TV service (in which case, they do need to put a G1100 in there for inital activation). But for standalone internet installs, if a technician insists you need a G1100, reassure them it will work without it and that activation will not be a problem.  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

One more step.

If standalone Internet (or TV without Verizon STB) need to make sure to ask for Ethernet for Internet service.

Kshah87

So I have a TV + Internet package. You're saying that I need the quantum router or no?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It works best with Quantum router.

You can use your own, but then will either need a Quantum, Mi424 or moca adapter to be able to feed Internet access to STBs for guide and VOD.

There are instructions at the top of the forum on how to use your own router.

ctwise
Enthusiast - Level 2

Some of the FIOS DVR functionality requires a FIOS-supplied router. Specifically:

- Remote DVR programming

- On-TV-screen caller id

- "Automatic" fixing of internet connection from DVR menus

- Remote "admin" access for Verizon to troubleshoot your connection

The way these work is that the FIOS-supplied router registers your DVRs by communicating with them. It then sets up port-forwards to them, and then sends the registration information to Verizon servers. If Verizon changes your IP address, the FIOS-supplied router sends updated registration information to Verizon servers. If you add a new DVR, the FIOS-supplied router adds more port-forwards and sends out the updated registration info.

This process appears to be specific to Verizon. There are no opensource or third-party implementations of this process. So if you get rid of the FIOS-supplied router, then you are going to be losing that specialized functionality.

In addition, the FIOS-supplied router acts as a MOCA bridge. That means it sends Ethernet/networking over the TV cables. The DVRs use an internet connection to download guide data and access pay-per-view. The video streams come in over coax cable (just like old-style cable) but it then gets joined together with the internet coax from your FIOS router. If you get rid of the FIOS router, then you need to replace it with a MOCA (ethernet-to-coax) bridge. Otherwise your DVRs will stop receiving guide data and won't be able to access movies and other pay-per-view content.