Re: What is an alternative to the Quantum Gateway Router?
jonjones1
Legend

I think CRobGauth stated that in his post before yours.

his response was correct and shorter 😀

0 Likes
ctwise
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, were you referring to my response? I've been trying to understand the network requirements and restrictions with using your own router. I attempted to explain clearly why the FIOS router was required, what it was doing and the downsides of eliminating it. My apologies for the attempt at clarity. Thank you for welcoming a new contributor.

jonjones1
Legend

Sorry if I offended you. I was trying to use humor. That was the reason for the 😀

i apologize for the attempt. Your post was correct...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes quantum router acts as moca bridge.

But you can get all of the other functionality with your own router.

There is a post at the top of this forum that gives details on how to do that.

0 Likes
ctwise
Enthusiast - Level 2

"But you can get all of the other functionality with your own router."

Sort've. Here are the things the FIOS router adds:

- Remote DVR programming

- On-TV-screen caller id

You can mirror the port forwards settings on the FIOS router, adding them to your own router. If you get rid of the FIOS router completely, then this will work until your WAN IP changes or you add or remove DVRs. This is because the FIOS router negotiates the port forwards and registers them with Verizon.

- "Automatic" fixing of internet connection from DVR menus

- Remote "admin" access for Verizon to troubleshoot your connection

This requires the admin interface running on port 4567 on the FIOS router. No FIOS router, no remote admin interface. Verizon support can't touch your router remotely. You might consider this a bonus, but it means support for issues between your house and Verizon will be difficult.

According to extensive research done by people on dslreports.com, the only reliable way to use your own router is to use _three_ of them. Your own as the main router, the FIOS router, and a third that mimics the WAN interface in front of the FIOS router. This requires you to update the third router IP address to match the _real_ WAN IP address whenever that changes. It also requires you to copy the port forwards from the FIOS router to your own router whenever they change. (https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077)

But this is crazy complicated. Which is why I settled on leaving the FIOS router in place and putting my own router in the FIOS DMZ. Port forwards work normally on my router at the cost of double NAT.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

ctwise - thank you for the post. I'll ask for the sticky topic here to be updated that on-screen Caller ID doesn't work when using your own router. 

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes