What software gets installed by the FIOS installer?
bbrown9
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just ordered FIOS internet and it says that FIOS software will be installed on my "primary PC". What is the purpose of this software? Why do I need to designate one PC as the "primary" PC? I have a home network and any PC may be on or off at any time. There isn't a "Primary" one.

When I had comcast installed, they jsut sent the modem. No software needed to be installed on any of my PCs. Why is a software installation necessary for FIOS?

I need to know exactly what thisFIOS  software does.

0 Likes
Re: What software gets installed by the FIOS installer?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You technically don't "need" to load any software on your PC, however the installer uses this software to create and configure your email and your password, and Register the Terms of service as having been read and understood by you, so they will likely run this software regardless.  The software is non intrusive software, that simply acts as "Activation software" if anything, and also installs a couple simple shortcuts to your Verizon Mail.   

If you don't install this software, the fios will still work, however you won't go through the activation so that means you will not have accepted the TOS and may incur an increase in your pricing.  the pricing is dependant that you accept the terms of service, and the length of time you signed up for.  So that may happen, also you will have to probably call into VZ tech support to set up your email and password if you don't go through this software install process.

It also is supposed to optimize your PC for FiOS speeds (yes there are still a good number of PC's that need this done).

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you also run through a mock set up by going to http://activatemyfios.verizon.net to get a feel for what the software is going to do.  it's really pretty innocuos, so not a lot to worry about, but if you are like me and like plain jane internet, and aren't going to use VZ mail, then you may want to tell the installer that you went through the TOS Sign up yourself at the website I posted (try to make sure you do so your price isn't affected) and let him know you would much rather prefer not having any software installed on your PC.      if you want the vz mail and to accept the tos with the field tech, then let him do his thang. 

0 Likes
bbrown9
Enthusiast - Level 3

I pre-registered for an email address from a link on the "what's next" page after placing my order (there was a link to it in the confirmation email I received)I chose a username for my email address and  I chose not to select either yahoo or AOL (I don't want either one - ever) and accepted the TOS. Is that the same thing?

Do I need to select AOL or Yahoo to use VZ email? I really don't want either one, but I do want email.

Can't I just set my email password myself? You'd think it would have asked me that already when I registered my username.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@bbrown9 wrote:

I pre-registered for an email address from a link on the "what's next" page after placing my order (there was a link to it in the confirmation email I received)I chose a username for my email address and  I chose not to select either yahoo or AOL (I don't want either one - ever) and accepted the TOS. Is that the same thing?

Do I need to select AOL or Yahoo to use VZ email? I really don't want either one, but I do want email.

Can't I just set my email password myself? You'd think it would have asked me that already when I registered my username.

It sounds like the same thing to me.  So as far as that portion is concerned, you are probably fine.  When you chose an email address, did you do a password too?

When you get to the aol yahoo business, you can hit no thanks or continue without selecting the aol or yahoo.  If you select them, it creates a link to yahoo and aol that is a PAIN to get rid of.

And I didn't read that last part, so it did not set up your password for you apparently, you can get it reset from VZ tech support, but unless you remember setting up a secret question, then you can't take advantage of the self help option "forgot your password" on the verizon.net webpage.

other than that, if you accepted the TOS and created a username, it sounds like the beef of the activation is done, and he just has to physically hook it all up and or set up the wifi.   (just an ssid and wep key) 

0 Likes
bbrown9
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did set a secret question, so I guess I should be OK.

Thanks!

0 Likes
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1

During installation the Verizon installer can/should/will use HIS OWN laptop to set up your router and internet connection.

You DO NOT have to install anything on any of your PCs  --unless you actually want the fluff and eye candy from AOL/Yahoo/etc.

In fact I still do 85% of my internet access with Netscape 7.2 and use the Netscape e-mail client 98% of the time from my desktop.  I use Firefox 2 ONLY for certain (financial) sites that will not support Netscape.  I have Thunderbird set up to leave e-mail on the server, thus I only use Thunderbird if I am not at my primary PC and want to ensure that the e-mail can be downloaded to the primary PC Netscape client.

Remember the 'P' in PC stands for PERSONAL -- you shouldn't have to install any software you don't actually want.