What to send in DHCP's Discover Option 61 Client identifier?
meccooll

So i'm trying to use my own router, and it HAS TO include Option 61 "Client identifier" in it's DHCP Discover packet. But i noticed that if that option is included i don't get a DHCP Offer back from FiOS! I tried throwing my MAC in there but no love. What does FiOS expects to see in there? It's a very technical question so if i can't get help here how can i contact an engineer that would be able to answer this?

Thanks,

Alex

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: What to send in DHCP's Discover Option 61 Client identifier?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  Just so you know, this is a peer-to-peer support forum.  Verizon does not answer questions here.

Sometimes the Verizon moderators escalate issues to the support team, which is an extension of the Verizon folk you can reach by using the "contact us" link at the bottom of these pages.  If that happens to your issue, be sure to follow the instructions the moderators post.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any methods to reach Verizon's network engineers.  They keep them very well separated from customers.  Verizon keeps their residential customer contact very focused on the public support channels.

It's possible some of the other users here may know details about your question, but I'm not one of them.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What kind of router are you hooking up that requires Option 61 to be included?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you may not need to do anything special.   What your problem MIGHT be (and I think it's likely) is that you didn't realease your IP Address before trying to connect your router.

so If that's the case, then you'll want to reconnect whatever device was connecting to the FiOS as step 1.   release it's DHCP

Actiontec MI424-WR - RELEASE DHCP
Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
Click SETTINGS
Click RELEASE
Click APPLY
Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.

and then connect your device as normal and see if it connects,

OR spoof the mac of your last connected device.

0 Likes
meccooll

It's a Cisco router http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_dhcp/configuration/12-4t/dhcp-12-4t-book/con...

When you specify the no form of this command, the configuration is removed and the system returns to using the default form. It is not possible to configure the system to not include a client identifier.

Looks like it's a standard that i cannot turn off

0 Likes
meccooll

It won't talk to me at all unless i spoof the mac address. But like i said i was able to get an ip from a laptop (when i spoof a mac) but not through the router. A lot of research narrowed it down to the clien-id field

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon Employs very strict MAC authentication across it's DHCP requests.  

So that's probably why you couldn't unless you cloned the MAC.

Once an item connects with DHCP it's BOUND to the mac address at Verizon's Gateway.   So that makes hot swap's of routers impossible without the above steps.

You have to release the IP Address of the device that connected while it's connected.   

Once it's released the MAC address Binding is broken, and that allows you to connect any other device.

Cisco's are very popular routers, and used by a lot of my friends on Verizon's network .   

How do I release my DHCP lease

0 Likes
meccooll

Yep cloned the MAC. Tested it on a PC too. DHCP Discover with no client-id worked fine, everything else being equal, if i add clien-id and dhcp server won't reply

0 Likes
meccooll

Problem was with not releasing the initial lease. If the DHCP server gets a new DHCP discover from same MAC but with client-id included, you will not get an Offer back. So to solve just release the original lease and send in a new Discover with client-id and you'll get and offer back

0 Likes