When will FIOS come to northern ID (kootenai county region)
method1

I'm curious if anyone here or perhaps a verizon worker knows of when FIOS services or if there are any plans of bringing it up to Northern Idaho, specifically in the kootenai county area. Really aren't many great internet choices up here speed wise, and I sure would like to have some FIOS as my current internet provider is slooow.

0 Likes
Re: When will FIOS come to northern ID (kootenai county region)
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Probably never.

Several reasons for this:

1)  Who is your incumbent phone company?  If it's AT&T, Quest or CenturyLink, then forget it.

2)  Verizon sold off their lines in the Pacific NW to Frontier.  If your incumbent phone company is Frontier, you should ask them.

3)  Cost of installing FIOS is rural areas is currently cost prohibitive.

4)  Verizon is not rolling out FIOS to new areas at this time.  Verizon is concentrating on FIOS in major metoprolitian areas (NYC, Philly).

0 Likes
Re: When will FIOS come to northern ID (kootenai county region)
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

I also find they tend to target "wealthier" areas even within larger metro areas.  Where my parents live, the nicer neighborhoods saw fiber get installed (the homes have been there for 25 years now)  while others did not.  I was lucky enough to have it installed with new construction, but it is all over the DC area.