Re: Where have all my router's features gone? (Westell 9100EM)
wherestheanykey
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

Firmware version 1.03.00.08 has been out since at least July 2010

See this thread poster jnmarshall - http://businessforums.verizon.net/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Firmware-upgrade-for-Westell-Ultra...

My router shows that it was shipped as firmware 1.02.00.04 however it was manuf 05/09 and I received it 11/09 and I'm pretty certain that after installation it was showing 1.03.00.08

Of coure my 9100EM is a Rev B while yours is a Rev A, did you perhaps try to apply firmware 1.03.00.08 to a Rev A router that maybe doesn't support that version of firmware?

Whatever, at this point if I were you I would contact VZ support and tell them your router is faulty and that you would like a replacement that has all the features available the way they are meant to be without having to resort to using convoluted workarounds.

I power cycled my router as it had not been power cycled for a couple of months.  It still shows 1.03.00.08 and all the menu functions are still operative.

As I said before, the update rolled out on its own and did so recently (it must have been forced via cwmp, because I never entered an auto update URL).  I don't keep track of firmware updates from Verizon, because frankly, they're few and far between.  Also, the thread you posted seems to indicate that I'm not the only one experiencing problems with this firmware.

In regard to "convoluted workarounds", excuse me for trying to alleviate a problem on my own before regressing into a whiny consumer.  I have not had time yet this week to spend two hours on the phone with Verizon and, unfortunately, there aren't any FIOS stores nearby.  Obviously, if I couldn't get any insight into the matter here, that was going to be the next move.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

unfortunately, there aren't any FIOS stores nearby

They won't help you anyway as they don't support routers, STBs and account changes only.

0 Likes
trigonman3
Enthusiast - Level 1

@wherestheanykey wrote:

The firmware doesn't normally allow downgrades, so I'm going to have to enable telnet on the router and do it manually, while having it offline long enough to disable cwmp and remote upgrades.

This may be too late for you, but hopefully will help someone out.

The configuration file contains areas to control the mentioned features. I copied the text from the router admin page, then pasted into a text editor for easier searching and editing, then saved to a file on my hard drive, then loaded the edited file back into the router with the Load Configuration File button. I did not need to use telnet or any other advanced techniques.

allow downgrades: search for "rmt_upd". Under that section, you may or may not have a line:

(allow_firmware_downgrade(0))
This line will probably show a 0, which prevents you from downgrading. After I changed it to a 1 and uploaded the change, I was able to upload a lower-version file (see below for the download path). Also once set to 1, the line disappeared completely. Just make a new line at the end of the section if it's not there.

cwmp: There is a cwmp section with a line:

(enabled(1))

I haven't tested this, but it makes sense that you would disable cwmp by setting this to 0.

Download link for the good firmware file: A90-9100EM15-10_1.02.00.04.rmt

For completeness, here's the file that broke features for you, me, and apparently others: A90-9100EM15-10-1.03.00.08-ENG.rmt

wherestheanykey
Enthusiast - Level 3

@trigonman3 wrote:
This may be too late for you, but hopefully will help someone out.

The configuration file contains areas to control the mentioned features. I copied the text from the router admin page, then pasted into a text editor for easier searching and editing, then saved to a file on my hard drive, then loaded the edited file back into the router with the Load Configuration File button. I did not need to use telnet or any other advanced techniques.

allow downgrades: search for "rmt_upd". Under that section, you may or may not have a line:

(allow_firmware_downgrade(0))
This line will probably show a 0, which prevents you from downgrading. After I changed it to a 1 and uploaded the change, I was able to upload a lower-version file (see below for the download path). Also once set to 1, the line disappeared completely. Just make a new line at the end of the section if it's not there.

cwmp: There is a cwmp section with a line:

(enabled(1))

I haven't tested this, but it makes sense that you would disable cwmp by setting this to 0.

Download link for the good firmware file: A90-9100EM15-10_1.02.00.04.rmt

For completeness, here's the file that broke features for you, me, and apparently others: A90-9100EM15-10-1.03.00.08-ENG.rmt

Glad to know I'm not alone in this!

Did this method work for you?  Do you have all of the options you had before?

I tried a few different methods to downgrade the firmware (using the URL and clicking "force update", adding the option to allow downgrades, and flashing via telnet), but it seems like it's not overwriting the portion of flash affected by this update (it'll downgrade, but the pages will still be missing).  I've even tried multiple firmware versions (the router came with 1.02.00.03).  The operating system this router runs on is called OpenRG and the configuration manual that explains what each line of the config file does can be found here.

Also, in order to keep the router on a downgraded version, you have to take it offline and disable cwmp before reconnecting it. Otherwise, the latest firmware gets pushed out and it'll update automatically.  I'm tempted to clear the memory via telnet, but I don't know the schematics well enough to know if the flash they're referring to is separate from the portion that holds the firmware.

At this point, I think I'm just going to dump my triple play package, buy a reliable router that doesn't have garbage like cwmp, and just switch to ethernet.

prisaz
Legend

If you have a hardware revision A router and it is acting strangely, and you have had it for more that two years. I would contact tech support tell them your issues that the router just keeps locking up and you are missing menus. They should send one next day with no charge. Being it is Rev. A and probably obsolete being the older revision, you may not even need to send the origional back. I had an Actiontec router replaced for issues with it locking up and stange items happening with port forwarding. I was sent a new router no questions asked. I believe you have gone above and beyond what is required of a customer. But that is me.

First router Rev. A would not work with remote DVR regardles of what firmware or software was used. I sent this one back.

Second router Rev. C had issues mentioned above, which I believe stem from a larger firmware file and smaller nat table. Power cycle or reset sometimes would fix the lockups, but then all my Verison read only port forwards would be gone. They told me not to bother sending the rev C back. So I imagine there were ISSUES.

Third router is Action tech Rev. D all works fine now.

I never was issued a Westell. It depends on your location as to what you get.

I have had FiOS since 7/2007. I believe TV was offered a bit later in our area.

wherestheanykey
Enthusiast - Level 3

@prisaz wrote:

If you have a hardware revision A router and it is acting strangely, and you have had it for more that two years. I would contact tech support tell them your issues that the router just keeps locking up and you are missing menus. They should send one next day with no charge. Being it is Rev. A and probably obsolete being the older revision, you may not even need to send the origional back. I had an Actiontec router replaced for issues with it locking up and stange items happening with port forwarding. I was sent a new router no questions asked.

You know, I hadn't even considered the possibility of them sending a new router without wanting this one back.  My biggest fear was that I was going to get stuck with one of the lesser Actiontec routers, seeing as they tend to reserve the newer routers for new subscribers.  Aside from the problems with bad firmware, the 9100EM is/was vastly superior to the first model Actiontec they sent out.  

But, I think I'll just bite the bullet and see what they can do for me. 

@prisaz wrote:

I believe you have gone above and beyond what is required of a customer. But that is me.

I usually try to solve things on my own before resorting to RMAs and the like.  I guess this is one time I can't avoid it, though.
I'm marking your reply as a solution.  Thanks!
0 Likes
wherestheanykey
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, one more question:

Is the Actiontec you most recently received a Gen1 or Gen2?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@wherestheanykey wrote:

Oh, one more question:

Is the Actiontec you most recently received a Gen1 or Gen2?

Sorry I just looked and found it is a Rev. E not D. So it does not show Gen 1 or 2. I believe the Rev. F is the new one, that has a gigabit switch for the LAN side, and only given to customers that subscribe to 50mbps or higher. But I would call and complain.

Mine is the 4th router since I subscribed. First router Netgear did not have MOCA and the max speed was only 15/2 since FiOS was new. Added TV and it Was changed to Actiontec Rev A, then rev ?, now Rev. E. The most complaints were NAT table issues with peer to peer applications such as gaming and file sharing. But the newer Actiontecs seemed to have fixed that issue. Depending on your location, you may just be issued a new Westell. If you go to the link I supplied in my previos post, it shows the 9100EM firmware. I know on the Actiontec it is recommended that you not turn on the automatic firmware updates, and only get the firmware from verizon. The automatic updates tend to download the latest, versions from the manufacture which may have defects. This is what Verizon shows. Get a replacement router or download this file and do update firmware from file, and not online.

http://my.verizon.com/micro/fiosrouters/

0 Likes