Where is the beeping coming from? And how do I stop it?
daveaphoto11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am aware this is the ONT - it appears, online, that other devices have the battery inside this device. I opened it up, and don't see it. I do have a power cable that heads to a Verizon box that I assume is the power supply. Could that be beeping? I did unplug that, but it powers down the ONT too. 

Also, I read online that the beeps are spread out longer, but I hear them every 30 seconds. I assumed it could have been something else, but I removed everything from the closet, and the beep is still coming from there. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. 

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Where is the beeping coming from? And how do I stop it?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I used to have a Tellabs 611 ONT which is different than the Arris. It could be the battery is in need of replacing. Would need to see a picture of the power unit.

A side note, that Ethernet cable doesn't look too good. Would replacing it with one that is commercially available be an easy swap? šŸ¤”

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Adding this post to enable notifications.

0 Likes
daveaphoto11
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is the power unit. I have tried unplugging and even hitting the reset button, no change. 

Having said that, would it "chirp" every 30 seconds? Before anyone asks, yes I already checked the fire alarm. And the sound is definitely in the closet. Ive actually already disconnected the cable on the left. Internet went out. Cable in the middle, internet out. (the wide green one) - the coax....because why not....nothing. 

Opened it up. Behind that panel is just a rolled up cable in the box. And yes I agree, that ethernet cable looks awful. Apartment life....unfortunately.  PS those cables that you see at the bottom go nowhere. Don't ask. I don't know why they're there lol The other side isn't plugged in. (but so there is no confusion, my internet is fine. It's just a random cable that leads through piping attached to the wall.....that leads to the other end, where it is just on the ground.) 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 30 second lapse between beeps is how the Tellabs battery unit operated. I was able to stop it by disconnecting the battery for about 15 seconds and then reconnecting it.

If the battery is old, it may be time for a replacement. I've gotten into the habit of putting labels on things to know when they were installed.

daveaphoto11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ah that's good to hear. I was starting to think it might have been something else, but after ruling everything else out, it HAS to be Verizon box. I can't find a battery on the ONT, and it might be that photo that you can't see but it genuinely sounds as if it is coming from the closet. (but I also understand that sound can travel funny) 

To your point, this could be very old. It was here when I first rented the apartment a year ago, and who knows how long its been here. But that's good to hear that it could be the battery. (as opposed to 15 minutes as I've read online)

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I did see the picture of the power supply. That one is also used for the current Alcatel-Lucent ONT. No battery inside of it.

The battery might be inside the ONT itself. šŸ¤”

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now that I've seen the power unit and taken a closer look at the ONT, I realize that there is no battery backup.

The power supply doesn't have a built-in battery, and, there isn't a power unit above the ONT.

If the beeping is coming from the ONT itself, I might reach out to Verizon for a tech to look the situation over.

daveaphoto11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. I'll give them a shout.