Re: Where is the beeping coming from? And how do I stop it?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pictures of my former Tellabs 611 ONT.

imageimage
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm having an off night. 😞

I just realized that there are no phone lines being supplied by the ONT. The battery backup only supports phones during a power failure.

Verizon support might be able to remotely diagnose the ONT for problems.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

One more question. In the closet that the ONT is located in, is there anything, such as a battery powered smoke detector or something similar either in a box or buried under something? 🤔

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon used to install THREE components:

• ONT
  • Power Supply - converts wall power to 48V DC
  • Battery Backup Unit (BBU)

The only Verizon device that beeps is the BBU.  They don't install it anymore, but your ONT looks old enough to have had a BBU installed with it.  The BBU beeps when the battery is old and needs to be replaced.

Your pictures show the ONT and power supply, but I haven't seen the BBU.  I suspect if you keep looking around you'll find it somewhere.  If you follow the power cable from either the black power supply or the ONT, you'll find the BBU in the middle.  If you're lucky, it's one of the models with a functional "alarm silence" button.  But it may only work for 24 hours.

Since you don't have phone service, you don't need the BBU.  It only powers phone service.  You also have what looks to be an old BPON ONT.  In some markets, Verizon is providing free upgrades to GPON ONTs as they want to turn off BPON infrastructure.  If they upgrade the ONT, they will remove the BBU.

And, if you're on an old 75/75 or slower plan, you might be able to upgrade to 200/200 and get a lower monthly charge!

In short, contact Verizon and see what they can do for you.  Online chat is best way.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi gs0b, 🙂

The picture of the Arris ONT shows the white power cable is connected to the black cable from the Alcatel-Lucent power supply. The original BBU might be elsewhere on the wall, or, packed in a box.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see two pictures.  One shows the ONT with a power cable coming in from somewhere else.  The other shows the mains power unit with the DC cable going somewhere else.  Unlike your very neat install, there is nothing shown that documents the complete power cable path from mains power supply to ONT.  Just because the ONT cable is the same color as the power supply cable doesn't mean it's the same cable.  There could be a BBU somewhere else that happens to use black cables on both sides.

The BBU is the *ONLY* Verizon device that beeps.  If the OP has eliminated all non-Verizon sources of beeps, there has got to be a BBU somewhere.  More pictures will help.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually, the power cable is coupled below the ONT. The original cable is white, There is a black cable mated to the Arris's original white cable. 🤔

Agree about the pictures. The two anchors below the ONT could have been a BBU. Hoping for either a few more pictures, or, the BBU is found by the OP.  🤔

BluehatHorses
Enthusiast - Level 2

This Fios beeping article explained thing for me and solved my problem. I have an older box like the one in the article and the process is a bit different than with the newer ones which operate a bit more cleanly!

There are some photos in there which are sorely lacking from most of the online "help" that I've found! Best of luck!