Which Test Should I Believe??????
vpasq
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the 75/35 plan.  When using the Verizon Broadband Speed Test, I get differing results.  It says I should use the 75 & below given my plan, but that always shows I am getting 50-52 Mbps download and 18-20 Mbps upload.  If I use the 100 & above test, it always shows that I am getting 75 Mbps or better upload, and 35 Mbps or better upload.  I WANT TO BELIEVE THE SECOND TEST of course, but is it really measuring my true speed, and why does the one Verizon says I should use measure it so significantly lower (and if it is true I am really paying for a lot more than I am getting).  Any thoughts?????????????????

0 Likes
Re: Which Test Should I Believe??????
tns
Master - Level 2

The second test is accurate.  It uses a newer version of Ookla speedtest and I think is not Java based but flash based instead.  Why you got such different results is not clear.  In my case both get close to the same resutls.  I do have 150/65.

0 Likes
Re: Which Test Should I Believe??????
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It seems with the way Verizon's NDT tests are set up, they don't report the correct speed half of the time. The other half of that is with the host on your end where some sort of configuration is dropping the speeds and can then pick up on it the next time you run the test in a sequence.

To determine which test is reliable, I suppose the best answer for that is, find a very fast download/upload site and grab a large file from it. If you can maintain around 8-9MB/s, you're doing 75Mbps. Anything higher really would be fluff. If you're doing 6-7MB/s, you're looking at a 50Mbps connection approximately. Of course, be aware a lot of smaller sites don't push data out that quick, or rate limit to save on bandwidth for other users.

0 Likes