Which port does Caller id use?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Replaced my verizon router with a netgear wndr 3700 connected to the ont and connected the vz router to the netgear lan -> wan

All appears to work ok except for caller id.  I guess one of those port forwarding of verizon services in the vz router controls that?

Anybody have any idea which one it is?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Which port does Caller id use?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried placing the Verizon router in a "DMZ" on your new router?

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Caller id on what?  A verizon STB?  Doesn't apply to your phones.

Normally you need do nothing unless you are not using a Verizon router or have  turned off uPnP.  Callerid is not the only problem you will have you use FIOS TV services without a Verizon router.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tns_2 wrote:

Caller id on what?  A verizon STB?  Doesn't apply to your phones.

Normally you need do nothing unless you are not using a Verizon router or have  turned off uPnP.  Callerid is not the only problem you will have you use FIOS TV services without a Verizon router.

Yes, obviously an stb.  That why my post said I had replaced the verizon router with my own Netgear router and hung the Westell router off on a lan -> wan connection.

In that setup the only things connected to the verizon router are the stb's

Everything else except caller id still work fine in this setup. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Good Luck.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Good Luck.

What for?

The Verizon router get's it ip address from the netgear that is connected by ethernet to the ont and the moca connection talks to the stb's.  Even if I put it in the dmz there is no exposed adapter.

I'm thinking it might well be the 3500x range where I appear to have 12 pf rules for each stb for 35000, 35001 etc.

Maybe easier would be just to go into one of the stb's and troubleshoot the caller id feature and then look at the netgear log and see what it rejected. 

Edit

Never used the dmz before.  Just read up on it and possibly you are right as apparently it opens all ports to that address.  If I can work out where the dmz setting is on the wndr3700, I can give that a try.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Good Luck.

Yes, putting the verizon router in the dmz apparently does resolve that issue.

Not real keen on totally exposing it so would like still to investigate the log to see what it says is coming in.  Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an access log on this router though I am still researching that.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

@gs0b wrote:

Good Luck.

Not real keen on totally exposing it so would like still to investigate the log to see what it says is coming in.  Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an access log on this router though I am still researching that.

It's the 63145 series udp.

I took the vz router out of the DMZ on the netgear router and buitl a port forward rule on the netgear to forward udp 63145 - 63147 (3 stb's) to the vz router address and caller id now works with no issues.

It's kind of odd that the stb's show the outside wan address to be wan address to be the verizon dhcp address assigned to the netgear router.

I guess at this point, even though it's apparently not needed, I could forward at the netgear the other couple of port ranges that the vz router is forwarding to the stb's.

Those are tcp 4567 which I would guess is VZ router backdoor as it  forwards to Local Host

and the tcp 35000 series which forward to the stb's incrementing by 1 for each additional stb. so 35000, 35001 etc. I guess the handle vod, guide etc.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

I suggested the DMZ for a couple of reasons.

First, it's a quick way to find out if port forwarding is the issue; now we know for certain that it is.

Second, it's easy if it works.  Sometimes an easy fix make more sense than digging into tall the details.

As for exposing the Verizon router to the internet through the DMZ, consider that you're not exposing it to anything worse than it saw when it was the primary router.

Now at least you have a way to get everything working while you decide if you want to spend more time fine tuning your network to your liking.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Now at least you have a way to get everything working while you decide if you want to spend more time fine tuning your network to your liking.

Good Luck.

Everything is working, that's what the second post said.

I took the router out of the dmz and just fowarded to the vz router the Verizon Service ports that it was forwarding to the stb's - that's only 3 pf rules.

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue with my Linksys EA9200 and Quantum Gateway. I have the Linksys as the primary router and the Quantum FIOS connected LAN to LAN to Linksys. Everything works except the caller ID. On my Linksys to add a single port forwarding rule I have the following options which I am not sure what to fill in:

application name

External Port

Internal Port

Protocol

Device IP

Can you assit me with this information? Thanks so much

0 Likes