Re: Which port does Caller id use?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

something has to be listening on the device for the port to be open.

So you may want to go into the set top box diagnostic and start up the listeners Menu>Customer Support>Self Diagnostic>OK. 

remote dvr and caller id tv use the same listeners from what I understand

0 Likes
StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I do the self diagnostics it says "listener 1 started, and everything says successful! 

0 Likes
StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a way to find out on the actual box the ports that are open, I remember the old boxes you used to press a combination of buttons and it would go to a setup menu.

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@StMickey wrote:

Is there a way to find out on the actual box the ports that are open, I remember the old boxes you used to press a combination of buttons and it would go to a setup menu.

For caller id ALL the boxes are listening on port 63145.  NOTE, they are ALL listeing on the same port.

However

The inbound traffic for the boxes will be coming in on a range of ports starting at 63145 and incrementing by 1 for each box - so if you have 4 boxes the traffic will be coming in on port range 63145 - 63148

See below picture

imageThe above picture is from my Verizon Actiontec router.  It shows that the vz router is redirecting

port 63145 to box 4 - 192.169.1.103

port 63146 to box 3 - 192.168.1.102

port 63147 to box 1 - 192.168.1.100

port 63148 to box 2 - 192.168.1.101

I have no idea how the oder of the ports in relation to the order of ip addresses was defined but suspect it was something to do with the order of the boxes being switched on when the new router was installed.

As you have your router defining the STB ip addresses I don't know if it agrees with what the vz router initially set up which may or not be important.  However at the time the vz router etablished the router to stb connection it obviously sent the info back to verizon in order to establish the specific port that was going to be used for traffic for that box and that info is being used by the caller id widgit to decide which port/s to use.

In my case I just made the vz router have it's own subnet and forwarded the port range from my router to the vz router to let it sort out which specific stb the 4 different traffic ports should go to..

Even after doing that I still had to remove and restart the caller id function on each tv.

StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

First, I want to switch from LAN to LAN to LAN to WAN to see if that setup will be better for caller id. What would be easiest and quickest way to do that without having to reconfigure the fios router? I don't have to really touch the primary router if I want to change the fios router to the WAN port? Do I? Then I will give the router a different subnet, however, which router is assigning ip's to the boxes, the primary router or the fios router? Maybe I have better luck with the LAN-WAN setup instead of LAN-LAN. 

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@StMickey wrote:

First, I want to switch from LAN to LAN to LAN to WAN to see if that setup will be better for caller id. What would be easiest and quickest way to do that without having to reconfigure the fios router? I don't have to really touch the primary router if I want to change the fios router to the WAN port? Do I? Then I will give the router a different subnet, however, which router is assigning ip's to the boxes, the primary router or the fios router? Maybe I have better luck with the LAN-WAN setup instead of LAN-LAN. 

Correct, so long as your router is some other subnet other than 192.168.1

When you connect your router lan - vz router wan

you would first configure the vz router to have a static wan address on your router's lan

and you will turn the dhcp server back on and then it will assign the stb ips as it was doing before

then you would forward all the ip addresses that are in the pf rules on the vz router from your router to the vz router wan address on your router subnet.

StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Let me go over it to make sure I didn't miss a step

Step 1: Change the subnet of primary router so it is different from the fios router(192.168.1).

Step 2: Connect the fios router WAN to LAN and give the router a static ip in my primary router.

Step 3: Turn on DHCP on the fios router, I this I should turn on the boxes?

Step 4: Forward the stbs' pf rules from the fios router using my primary router

Once again, I can't thank you enough for taking time to help me with this, is so good to know that there are people in this world that will lend you a hand and assist you without hesitation. 

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@StMickey wrote:

Let me go over it to make sure I didn't miss a step

Step 1: Change the subnet of primary router so it is different from the fios router(192.168.1).

Step 2: Connect the fios router WAN to LAN and give the router a static ip in my primary router.

Step 3: Turn on DHCP on the fios router, I this I should turn on the boxes?

Step 4: Forward the stbs' pf rules from the fios router using my primary router

Once again, I can't thank you enough for taking time to help me with this, is so good to know that there are people in this world that will lend you a hand and assist you without hesitation. 

1 make the primary router (your router) use any private subnet other than 192.168.1 so 192.168.x where x is NOT 1 and make it the dhcp server for that subnet

2 configure the verizon router to act as a dhcp serevr on subnet 192.168.1 and give it a static ip address on your router's subnet

3 connect your router's wan port to the ont ethernet jack

4 connect a lan port from your to the wan port of the verizon router

5 turn on the set top boxes

6 logon to the verizon router and make a note of the port forwarding rules for the verizon services

7 on your router build port forwarding rules for the ports noted in step 6 and makes the destination of those rules the ip address of the verizon router on your subnet - see step 2

8 remove the stb caller id widget on each tv and then add it again

9 use the test cller id function on each tv to see if it is now working.

0 Likes
StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I changed my setup last and it went smoothly and much easier thanks to your posting. Now my router and the virozn router are on two different subnets, the fios router was asssigned a static ip and has DHCP. The boxes got their ips' from the fios router and interestingly enough when I looked at the pf rules, the only thing I saw was TCP rules from 35000 to 35002 and one 4567 TCP rule for the local host 127.0.0.1, which don't know what it is. There was no UDP port to open. So I created the following rules on the primary linksys router:

Service                    Internal Port                  External Port          Protocol               ip

Verizon Service          35000                            35000                      TCP                 192.168.5.131

Verizon Service          4567                               4567                       TCP                 192.168.5.131

Verizon Service          35001                            35001                       TCP                192.168.5.131

Verizon Service          35002                            35002                       TCP                192.168.5.131

What else do I have to I have to do besides enabling and disabling caller id?

0 Likes
StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again, the switch went smoothly, now the fios router has a static ip form the primary router to the WAN address, both routers are in different subnets and the pf rules are back on the fios router but this time no UDP port 63145 through 63148, just TCP 35000 through 35003 which is kind of interesting. Originally I had those ports opened not now. I forwarded the port on the primary router as follows:

Service                      Internal Port                External Port                  Protocol                   Device

Verizon                         35000                            35000                          TCP                        192.168.5.131(fios router)

Verizon                         35001                            35001                          TCP                        192.168.5.131

Verizon                         35002                            35002                           TCP                       192.168.5.131

Verizon                         35003                            35003                           TCP                       192.168.5.131

Verizon                         4567                              4567                              TCP                       192.168.5.131

The last port said something like 127.0.0.1 local host. What is that? I can't get the caller id yet though. The STBs' show on my primary router with the old ip addresss, not the new one, could that be the problem? When I do the caller id test, the message says do you se the CAI alert on the box? Am I supposed to see something in front of the STB or on screen?

0 Likes