Re: Which port does Caller id use?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@StMickey wrote:

Thanks again, the switch went smoothly, now the fios router has a static ip form the primary router to the WAN address, both routers are in different subnets and the pf rules are back on the fios router but this time no UDP port 63145 through 63148, just TCP 35000 through 35003 which is kind of interesting. Originally I had those ports opened not now. I forwarded the port on the primary router as follows:

Service                      Internal Port                External Port                  Protocol                   Device

Verizon                         35000                            35000                          TCP                        192.168.5.131(fios router)

Verizon                         35001                            35001                          TCP                        192.168.5.131

Verizon                         35002                            35002                           TCP                       192.168.5.131

Verizon                         35003                            35003                           TCP                       192.168.5.131

Verizon                         4567                              4567                              TCP                       192.168.5.131

The last port said something like 127.0.0.1 local host. What is that? I can't get the caller id yet though. The STBs' show on my primary router with the old ip addresss, not the new one, could that be the problem? When I do the caller id test, the message says do you se the CAI alert on the box? Am I supposed to see something in front of the STB or on screen?

You need to remove and add the caller id widget to get the caller id port forwarding working on the verizon router again.

You'll have to do it on each tv that you want caller id to appear on  And now thinking about it that is why stb1 did not have  port 63145 assigned to it.  63145 got assigned to the stb attached to the first tv I set up caller id on.

I believe the 35000 ports are for guide etc.

Port 4567 is the verizon back door to the verizon router.  On the verizon router it forwards to 127.0.0.1 which is the local host address i.e. the router itself so if you ever need support your passing  4567 the the wan address of the verizon router would appear that their router is attached to the ont.

You should delete the stb ip addresses on your primary router as they are now being dhcp assigned via the verizon router.

You see I finally got my real id working again

StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you say remove and add the caller id widget is like disable it and enable it using the remote control, right?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@StMickey wrote:

When you say remove and add the caller id widget is like disable it and enable it using the remote control, right?

yes

After you've done that you should see a pf rule appear on the verizon router for the stb the tv was attached to

0 Likes
StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did what you said and didn't see any new rules except the TCP rules I had before from 35000 to 35003. I am going to restart the box to see if that does it. I guess restarting the boxes didn't do much

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@StMickey wrote:

I did what you said and didn't see any new rules except the TCP rules I had before from 35000 to 35003. I am going to restart the box to see if that does it. I guess restarting the boxes didn't do much

After you added the caller id widget did you try the test function on the tv? and if so what did it say?

0 Likes
StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a couple of messages while testing caller id. The first message was "sending a caller id alert to your box", the next one said do you see the CID alert on the box? I didn't see anything on the actual box or even on the screen so I didn't click anthing, then the message went away 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@StMickey wrote:

I had a couple of messages while testing caller id. The first message was "sending a caller id alert to your box", the next one said do you see the CID alert on the box? I didn't see anything on the actual box or even on the screen so I didn't click anthing, then the message went away 

Broke my caller id testing that!!!

Got message saying it was broken when I selected trubleshoot

So fixed it by

Menu, settings, notifications, caller id

Check availability - Caller ID is available

Alert Display toggle to disabled, the toggle enabled

Troubleshoot press ok

Caller id diag sending alert to screen press ok

Alert displays Vz_CID

(111)111-1111

Is that what you did

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, of course it wouldn't work.  I'm sure the enable function made contact with Verizon but the answer couldn't get back to the router because the port was blocked by your router.

There are 2 things that will fix it.  The guaranteed way is to temporarily put the verizon router back as primary and get the caller id function working then put it back as secondary and make sure you are forwarding the ports that are specified in the new pf rules.

Alternatively you could just forward the ports and it should work, as we know the ports are 63145 etc incrementing by 1 for eac box.  So if you have 4 boxes forward UDP 63145  63146  63147  63148 to the verizon router

MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I followed your advice and put the Verizon router back as primary and long and behold the caller id didn't work. I called Verizon and they couldn't even fix it from their end. They gave me a ticket number and told me they will be working on it. Maybe these boxes and not fully compatible with caller id. I'll let you know when they fix it and I'll try it again, tahnks for your help.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Be interested to hear what they come up with.

When I did this initially it didn't work either and I had to get tech support intervention via a ticket.  Since theye resolved the issue I never ever had any problem again.

0 Likes