Which router will I get?
Shelkyn1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am scheduled for a Sept. 6th install in Marblehead MA (North of Boston). Does anyone know which router I am likely to get for my freebie?  I want 802.11N with gigabit wired ports.  Any chance of that, or should I just buy my own and convert theirs to a planter?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Which router will I get?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'll likely get a Rev. E or a Rev. F ActionTec router, or if they give you something older, it would be no older than a Rev. D ActionTec. Only the Rev. F does N, however it is only a Draft unit and as such, it's speeds are very limited on the Wireless (it seems to max at 65Mbps theoretical according to users) but it certainly will deliver N speeds. No Gigabit ports though. The only way to get a router that has what you're looking for from Verizon would be either by sheer luck, or to order the 150Mbps service which will require the Gigabit router from Verizon.

In this case, you can do one of several things based on what you are getting installed. If you run your own Ethernet cabling to where the ONT will be placed, you can ask the tech to give you an Ethernet connection from the ONT to the router. When the tech leaves, you can swap out the ActionTec for your own N + Gigabit router by performing a DHCP Release on the ActionTec, powering it off immediately, switching to your router and powering it up. If it fails to get an IP, give it 6-12 hours to break the DHCP lease or call Verizon to have them break it.

If you don't wish to use Ethernet, as much as users like I would prefer it, you can bridge or otherwise set up the ActionTec to run as the router, using your router as nothing more than a Switch or Access Point. If you go the bridge route, the ActionTec would be nothing more than what most people would seem it as a modem.

If you're getting FiOS TV service installed, the ActionTec is pretty much a guaranteed item that has to stay in place somewhere. In this scenario, you must set up your router as a switch + Access Point off of the ActionTec. If that doesn't fly with you, if you are up to losing Remote DVR and Caller ID on the TV, you can simply use Ethernet from the ONT to your router and hang the ActionTec off of your router as a switch/Access Point for older Wireless G devices and for MoCa data to the Set Top Boxes (which is needed). Lastly, if you don't want to use the ActionTec what so ever (put it away in storage for a just-in-case moment), get Ethernet from the ONT to your router, and then use a NIM100 device to connect to the Coaxial cabling to allow your Set Top Boxes to get Guide Info and On-Demand data.

I believe I've outlined everything.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'll likely get a Rev. E or a Rev. F ActionTec router, or if they give you something older, it would be no older than a Rev. D ActionTec. Only the Rev. F does N, however it is only a Draft unit and as such, it's speeds are very limited on the Wireless (it seems to max at 65Mbps theoretical according to users) but it certainly will deliver N speeds. No Gigabit ports though. The only way to get a router that has what you're looking for from Verizon would be either by sheer luck, or to order the 150Mbps service which will require the Gigabit router from Verizon.

In this case, you can do one of several things based on what you are getting installed. If you run your own Ethernet cabling to where the ONT will be placed, you can ask the tech to give you an Ethernet connection from the ONT to the router. When the tech leaves, you can swap out the ActionTec for your own N + Gigabit router by performing a DHCP Release on the ActionTec, powering it off immediately, switching to your router and powering it up. If it fails to get an IP, give it 6-12 hours to break the DHCP lease or call Verizon to have them break it.

If you don't wish to use Ethernet, as much as users like I would prefer it, you can bridge or otherwise set up the ActionTec to run as the router, using your router as nothing more than a Switch or Access Point. If you go the bridge route, the ActionTec would be nothing more than what most people would seem it as a modem.

If you're getting FiOS TV service installed, the ActionTec is pretty much a guaranteed item that has to stay in place somewhere. In this scenario, you must set up your router as a switch + Access Point off of the ActionTec. If that doesn't fly with you, if you are up to losing Remote DVR and Caller ID on the TV, you can simply use Ethernet from the ONT to your router and hang the ActionTec off of your router as a switch/Access Point for older Wireless G devices and for MoCa data to the Set Top Boxes (which is needed). Lastly, if you don't want to use the ActionTec what so ever (put it away in storage for a just-in-case moment), get Ethernet from the ONT to your router, and then use a NIM100 device to connect to the Coaxial cabling to allow your Set Top Boxes to get Guide Info and On-Demand data.

I believe I've outlined everything.

Shelkyn1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, that was very thorough.  We are only getting internet service so that simplifies things.

One last thing, will the ActionTec make a good planter?

Just kidding, I will keep it around because the Verizon techs get horribly confused when you use equipment they didn't give you.  I could tell you stories about getting DSL service with my netgear DSL modem (not for the modem, it worked great, but with it in the loop the V techies were greatly confused) that would make your head spin around.