Which version of MoCA do I have?
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I have the black ONT & the Actiontec router.

Which version of MoCA do I have?

I'm thinking about cutting the cord. I noticed that Verizon offers internet only. I'm thinking about replacing the FIOS box with a Tivo box but the Tivo requires a CableCard. Do you know how much that costs? If I understand it correctly, the CableCard will allow me to watch the same FIOS channels on the Tivo box as on the FIOS box, right? But if I choose to not watch any FIOS channels at all but only stream, do I still need the CableCard?

P.S. Lately, I've been getting a lot of "Authentication failed. Authentication ticket mismatched, failed authentication".  The other day, the message came up at the same time that I clicked on "Post". I was mad. I had to start all over again. Just to make sure that I didn't have to type the message a 3rd time, I typed it into a text file & saved it on the desktop. Then I copied & pasted into the post. I hope that the powers-that-be at Verizon are aware of the problem & correct it.

0 Likes
Re: Which version of MoCA do I have?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT is MOCA 1.1 and the Actiontec Rev I with red band is 2.0. The ONT on MOCA 1.1 is why you can only do 100 mbps on coax. Anything above requires ethernet to the router. 

If you get a cable card they are probably less than $10. You would plug that into TiVo and get all the channels you get with FiOS STB. Only difference is that with TiVo you will be using their interface. Now that TiVo uses MOCA it will communicate with the Actiontec just like any Verizon STB would. 

If you stream you will not need a cable card  just internet. You will just need to subscribe to different providers like Netflix and/or Sling TV. 

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I know that I can switch the ONT from MoCA to ethernet.

I have the Actiontec Rev I.

Do you happen to know how much it costs to switch the ONT from MoCA to ethernet & is it something that I can do myself or do I need to have a tech come to my apartment?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

I know that I can switch the ONT from MoCA to ethernet.

I have the Actiontec Rev I.

Do you happen to know how much it costs to switch the ONT from MoCA to ethernet & is it something that I can do myself or do I need to have a tech come to my apartment?

You can call up and ask them to change to ethernet. Nothing you can do on your own. Has to done on their end. However you will have to run the ethernet. If your comfortable doing that then there will be no charge.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I have 2 set-top boxes- an HD DVR in the living room & an HD set-top box in the utility room. Both are connected by coax cable. If I change to ethernet then the router would be conected to the ONT by LAN cable instead of coax cable, right?

Is there any advantage to connecting to the ONT  via ethernet rather than coax?

Can the ONT connect wirelessly to both set-top boxes?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have 2 STBs you still need coax connected to router even if you are on ethernet. The coax to router is how your STBs getting an internet connection for the guide/on demand. 

If you do switch to ethernet it will go from ONT to the white WAN port on your router. Just leave coax connected for STBs. If you switch to TiVo it will also need coax on router since TiVo uses MOCA now too. 

I guess the only advantage to being on ethernet is you can you any router. With coax you cannot. And you need ethernet to router if you get 150 mbps or above. 

Right now Verizon doesn't offer wireless STBs. 

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

You state:

And you need ethernet to router if you get 150 mbps or above. 

Verizon does offer internet only in 2 speeds- 100mbps & 300 mbps. So then, if I choose 300 mbps, I'd need ethernet to router, right?

I'd have to open the ONT box door & connect the ethernet cable, right? If I decide to switch to ethernet, wouldn't the ethernet net cable need to be connected to the router before Verizon switches from coax to ethernet?

I don't completely understand the networking lingo.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

He gave you correct information. And Verizon Fios offers speeds of 50, 75, 150, 300, and up to gigabyte. It is region dependent.

verizon can switch on ethernet from their end, and you are responsible to get that ethernet from the ONT to your inside routers WAN port. Or you can have Fios run it.

its not that difficult.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

You state:

And you need ethernet to router if you get 150 mbps or above. 

Verizon does offer internet only in 2 speeds- 100mbps & 300 mbps. So then, if I choose 300 mbps, I'd need ethernet to router, right?

I'd have to open the ONT box door & connect the ethernet cable, right? If I decide to switch to ethernet, wouldn't the ethernet net cable need to be connected to the router before Verizon switches from coax to ethernet?

I don't completely understand the networking lingo.

That's weird that you don't have other options. There are 50/100/150/300 mbps and the gigabit connection. 

Now any speed can be on ethernet but only 50/100 mbps can use coax. If you chose 300 then yes you will have to open up ont run ethernet from the ONT to router. Either you can do it or you can schedule a technician visit. If you do upgrade to 300 it will most likely schedule an appointment for a tech to come to run the ethernet.

Verizon can change it to ethernet whenever you want but if the ethernet isn't there your internet will be down until you run the ethernet.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

That's odd.

For speeds above 100 mbps an ethernet connection is required between the ONT & the router, but the STB still uses coax no matter the speed. Why can't the STB be connected by ethernet instead of coax?

0 Likes